1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I'm going the whole 9 yards to the church of clean!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by CHassan, Jun 12, 2013.

1. CHassan

CHassan Member

I did replace the shaft seals. I got a deluxe full rebuild kit from xj4ever, plus new idle screws. Good thing too, as 2 of the old ones had bent tips. Judging by the shape of things, someone has been into these before, but didn't do them any good.

I got everything zesty and the indicidual carbs back together. I dry se the floats when I was installing them. Tomorrow morning I hope I can get the rack back together, bench synch and wet set the floats. Then I have to replace a couple shims and I'll be ready for the real test.

I'll pick up a dual gauge set from a buddy tomorrow afternoon. Then maybe a vacuum synch tomorrow evening if I get home in time.

Hopefully I'll be too worn out from flying, but who knows.

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Those O-rings are miniatures.
    Tiny.

Heat the tip of a Darning Needle.
    Bend a tiny "Hook" on the end.
    Go fishing.

3. CHassan

CHassan Member

I got 3 out easy enough. I never did find the 4th. I honestly think it wasn't there. The carbs had 2 bent idle screws. Butterflies were quie far off. There is a hodge podge of different bolts holding things together. One diaphram was partially out of the groove. the carbs were pretty clean for the most part.

All in all I think someone didn't visit this site when they last worked on these carbs.

Now with that said...... I put everything back together. Changed out the needed shims. Hooked up the tank and varooom! Already running better than it was. Hooked up my borrowed synch tool. Ahhhhh sweet!.

Now if I could find a colortune to borrow, or that old school tuning trick. Will probably do some chops and check out the plugs. Go from there.

4. CHassan

CHassan Member

My oh my what a difference it has made.

I'm mostly done with this whole valve spec, car rebuild process. the difference it has made in this bike is nothing short of fantastic! I've been on this bike since 1986. I use to beg dad to take me places on the bike. To the store, to ball practice, to Tennessee for fireworks, whatever.

Now the bike belongs to me, but it was long overdue for some TLC and mechanical re freshening. Usign the knowhow I gathered from this site, and getting the needed parts from local chacal at xj4ever, I know have a bike that runs almost as strong as I remember.

My lack of tuning knowledge and fine tuning skills has left me with a not quite right, but really close running engine. Give me a few more days to play with it and i'll either have it done, or I'll find someone to help!

I had started some cosmetic work on the bike. Just polishing up some of the metal bits. I stopped when I decided if I couldn't get the bike to run right, I wasn't going to worry about how it looked. Now that I'm close on the running, I feel obliged to continue with the cosmetics like polishing and a paint job.

Just what my wife wants to hear. "Honey I need XXXXXX for the bike!"

5. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Glad to hear things are progressing nicely. It really is something when you get these motors set right after years of neglect, isn't it? :)

6. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

Nicely done, CHassan. Enjoy the trip, and do all the little things. It all pays out in the end. Heck, I don't even bother with the shiny stuff because I love when squids in their shiny crotch rockets show up at the stop signs and try to intimidate me...