1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

SHE RUNS!!!!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Foolber, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Foolber

Foolber Member

It was december 15th, 2012 on a saturday when i finally shut my bike down for the huge task in front of me, not just the regular maintenance but many other fixes and upgrades. So today it is 7 months (almost to the day) later and i finally started my XJ up :D :D :D and as many say there is no sweeter sound than a finely tuned XJ, she purrs so smooth i could hear a mouse run across the floor :p i will get pics up soon and a somewhat detailed write up about all the things i did, encountered, broke, along the way with the hopes that it will help some other fella :)

I have a couple questions still though, 1. Why is my rectifier warm to the touch after idling for only precisely 1 minute and 37 seconds? also the battery is bubbling/gurgling (new acid, fully trickle charged 1 week ago)

2. Can you achieve a perfect sync while on the bench with the YICS motors? i only ask because of the YICS tool not having anything to do with a bench sync obviously. (but i must say damn mine sounds so great IMO)

THANKS TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO HELPED ME ON THIS SITE!!!!!!! AMAZING EFFORT PUT FORTH Y'ALL, CHEERS TO THE NEXT 50,000 MILES :)

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

YICS motor or not, you can't achieve a perfect sync on the bench. The final "product" requires a MOTOR.

The whole idea of the running vacuum sync is to match the carbs to the motor, so to speak. So while you can get the carbs perfectly mechanically sync'ed to each other, once you install them on a motor you introduce the differences between cylinders and have to compensate for those differences with a running sync.

That being said, the better the bench sync, the less fine tuning will be necessary but that ultimately depends on the state of the motor you attach them to. Which is why having the valve clearances in spec beforehand is so important.

Remember, we're not really synchronizing the carbs in the final process; we're actually UNsynchronizing them slightly as needed to balance the output of the motor.

3. Foolber

Foolber Member

perfectly said. thanks!

4. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

Congrats on the runner!

That being said if you have a bublbing battery and a hot rectifier i'd check your voltage levels across your battery and idle and off idle (2k+). hopefully its nothing too serious.

Marcel

5. Foolber

Foolber Member

which setting is that on the voltmeter? the battery is at 12.55 when not running. while running it is 12.55 is that what you wanted?

and also i have a very small fuel leak on carb 3, its coming out of the little screw on the float bowl that is used for checking fuel level, is there an o ring on that by chance that i can replace?

6. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

Yah that's it.

Take it up over 2k (get onto the main jets) and see what voktage you get
    That will be the test for the charging system.

It's likely nothing but if you're getting more than 14.5 volts you could have an issue on the charging side.

7. Foolber

Foolber Member

it is at 14.8 when at 2.3k

8. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

9. Foolber

Foolber Member

awesome ill still keep an eye on it though. so what about this one

10. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

nope, no o-ring and those screws are terrible...

Chacal sells the nice allan head float bowl drain screws that i'd reccomend (but dont have). After just going through another float heigh session I might reconsider...

a very small amount of thread tape (i'm thinking plumber supply store) might tie you over until you get a new set ordered, they're not a run of the mill version that's for sure.

11. Foolber

Foolber Member

ill look into that, as for the tape ill hold off, dont want gas eating that stuff and getting it stuck in my jets

12. Foolber

Foolber Member

well i finally rode the XJ!! holy macrol new tapered steering bearings, wheel bearings, and rebuild forks makes for an amazingly smooth ride, and im still using the stock uncomfortable seat! shes running a bit rich though. plugs are carbon fouled after like 50 miles or so except cylinder 1, that one is just white not glazed just white, odd. so ima do some adjustments and hook up the syncer i guess...