1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How do you remove the airbox?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by c21aakevin, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Methusulah

Methusulah New Member

Are there any considerations on the exhaust? I've got an aftermarket Kerker exhaust. What about supporting the engine , or will it just pivot in the frame?

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Yes, you will probably want to loosen the muffler mounts. The engine isn't going to be moving all that much, perhaps a few inches down at the very front (the remianing rear bolt will become the pivot point for the entire engine), but it doesn't take much additional room, once the starter and carbs are removed, to have enough clearance to manuever the airbox into the frame.

3. Methusulah

Methusulah New Member

Ah I get what you're saying now. As for the starter, how am I going to get that off?

[​IMG]
    I'm guessing take the shift lever and the black panel off and the starter will slide out?

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You could try "Driving-On" a 6-Point Socket and seeing if you get enough purchase to undo the fastener.

Use 6-Point Sockets!

Alternatively, modern technology has provided us with several Fancy-schmancy special tools that will grab-on to a rounded-off fastener and grab-a-hold of the rounded-off Hex Head and apply enough torque to break-off the Bolt and make the situation worse than it was when you just had a rounded-off Hex to deal with.

5. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

I just reinstalled the Air Box on my 750 Maxim, I pulled the carbs off and then the starter, then the two RH carb holders. The air box had to bend alittle bit but it went right in. Didn't have to unbolt the engine. It runs so much better and actually slightly rich. Going to color tune when the weather warms up. Thanks for the you tube link.

MN

6. RickCoMatic

Hey, Man!

You should expect the Bike to run Rick in frigid weather. The super-cold is lots more dense than warm air.
    Fuel don't want to atomize when its as cold as ice.
    The Diaphragms are less flexible and slower to close.

Just getting an XJ Engine to kick-over when the temperature is in low double digits is a miracle.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hold on there... Len, are you tellling us you CAN R & R a 550 airbox without pulling the motor? I was under the distinct impression it couldn't be done.

8. seaguy

seaguy Member

There was a recent youtube on here that showed a guy doing it without dropping the front of the engine although he was doing a little yanking.

9. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

I have a heated garage. I only keep it at 40 but none the less it fired right up and when it warmed up I could see just a wiff of black smoke when I would rev it up. It idles nice and all the exhaust headers are running close to the same temp (infrared non contact thermometer) I'm going to go on a search at the local MC shops to find a 90 deg fuel filter for this one. The tank looks great inside and the carbs are clean so we want to keep it that way.

MN

10. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Did it on a 550 Maxim, and even though the Maxim and Seca use different airboxes/frames, eyeballing things it looks like they are similar enough so that it could be done in the same way?

11. Methusulah

Methusulah New Member

Here's hoping, I've actually got the Seca, but the airbox is off a maxim. Hope this doesn't screw me over too badly, but I'm thinking Chacal's suggestion should work. Because of all the snow I haven't been able to get back out to work on it for almost 3 weeks now.

12. Methusulah

Methusulah New Member

Just as a small update I did finally manage to get the airbox in by tilting the engine.

[​IMG]
    Thus

and

[​IMG]
    thus.

Now I finally start the real work of seeing if this actually runs!

13. Ari_Gold

Ari_Gold New Member

On my 86 xj700 I took a saw saw to it. Now I rock small air filters on the carbs looks slick

14. Vampirum

Vampirum New Member

I used a hammer. Worked like a charm.

15. RickCoMatic

You should make every effort to SAVE the Airbox.

You might need it, ... later.

Someone might like to buy it, ... too!