1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

new to the site

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by sid693, Jun 26, 2013.

1. sid693

sid693 New Member

hi everyone. i recently picked up a 82 xj750 maxim for a few hundred bucks and got a 83 xj750 thrown in the deal cause i needed some parts off of it. after a lot of blood sweat and beer i was able to cobble the 82 together and get her fired up. sounds like it is going to be alot of fun to ride but i am still several months away from being able to ride it. i just started it to make sure it ran after rebuilding the carbs. i still need to check my valves and synch the carbs. i just did the paper clip method which someone was so kind to share on here. i dont have a synchrometer or whatever the darn thing is called so i am not sure if the paper clip method will work but from what i hear you can get them almost dead on just by using the clip. well enough rambling. thanks for finally letting into the forum.

was trying to place a pic in here but i am not that computer smart

Sid

2. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

Welcome Sid. Do a search and you'll find how to build a carb sync tool. I'd give you a link, but I'm not that computer smart either.

3. CHassan

CHassan Member

Get a couple vacuum gages. Some properly sized tubing, and a couple valves to reduce fluctuation.
    I borrowed one from a friend, who built it for his twin cylinder aircraft engine, worked great. My bike purrs along and will idle all day long all the way down to about 850rpm. It sounds and feels much smoother closer to 1000-1100 range.

Even after bench synching them (by comparing the openings to the tiny holes in the upper intake port), the running synch smoothed things out so much more. It was a "hint" of movement in the sync screws here and there that took out the final roughness.

Of course this will all be for not if the valves are out of spec.

4. sid693

sid693 New Member

thanks for the info. i will have to hunt down that link for that carb synch tool. i figured i will need it since i plan on running pod filters i just havent got that far into it. i really wanted to make sure the bike ran before i started pouring money into it. now that it is running i will have to invest in all the stuff to make it run like a striped ape. i have already seen how to synch the carbs using the gauges on youtube just couldnt find any that were lower than 60 bucks on ebay but i am a big diy guy so i will just make a set. i have synched a pair of carbs on the 650 but not four and that is what was giving me the heebie jeebies... but figure it cant be that hard. well thanks for the info guys

Sid