1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How many times have you wrecked?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Lowbot, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Lowbot

Lowbot New Member

I was just realizing that I've been riding for 27 years and I've never gone down. I've come close, of course, when people didn't see me, but I've always managed to stay upright (knocks on wood...ow, that hurt my head). It seems that I hear of a motorcycle crash every other day on the morning traffic reports and it made me wonder...how many times have you all crashed your bikes?

2. CHassan

CHassan Member

Street bikes = 0
    Off road bikes = I can't count that high due to to many blows to the cranium.

In hang gliding the same question is often asked. There are those who crash almost every time they fly. Then there are those who have 30 years in and no injuries to speak of. Myself I have 9 years flying gliders and my worst injury occurred during the after flight celebration (on multiple occasions). Of course I don't feel them until the next morning.

In either sport there are things that will jump out and bite you. Having a healthy respect for the damage that can be done is critical to longevity. Know what can happen, and be prepared for it to happen. Or, as I like to do, know what can happen and reduce the probability by controlling your environment, and maintaining a safe distance from the things you can't control.

3. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

Never while riding...In the garage that's a different story. :oops:

Started riding when I was 19 took a break from riding at 20 until I turn 46 and have been riding for 5 years.

My wife, son and daughter all laid their bikes down in their first year of riding.(And it was always during or just after a rainstorm)

4. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

At least a dozen times on my first seca . most of the time at the track pushing it far beyond it's lean angle . Once hit head on by a car turning in front of me . Almost every time i was pushing it way too hard for conditions . All before 32 now i am riding on street again after 15 years on an atv , and i am way more careful with this couple of seca's i have . At almost 50 i do not look forward to hitting the ground again .

5. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

The 650R=0
    The CB750f=0
    Motocross bikes=a lot
    1 concussion, 2 broken toes, cracked ribs, bad knees, dirt rash (same as road rash-hurts like hell when you clean it out), numerous bumps and bruises

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Off road when young: Lost count.

Street bike: Once. Was more than enough.

7. Hamster

Hamster Member

Once. On my 1970 CB175 in 1987. Going 70, yes, it would go 70. I had time to scrub some speed but low-sided at maybe 50 as the limited access highway turned to dirt and jogged HARD to the right. Warning signs had all blown down. Ripped my jacket and went drinking. Thought I was fine. Mostly was, but the next day I felt like I had pulled every muscle in my body. The little CB bent a couple of things, I bent them back. I miss that little bike.

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

On the street: Twice. Once my own fault for being a teenage hotshot; and again at age 30 when a Toyota attacked me and won. Nothing but ego (and wallet, it wasn't my bike) pranged the first time; the second one resulted in a couple of weeks in the hospital (and my SR was totalled.)

Racetrack: Too many to count, usually my own doing.

9. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

Off-road: a few times, nothing serious.
    On the street: once. October, 17th, 2008. Hit a 7 point buck at about 45 mph. Result: concussion, cracked cheekbone, broken collarbone, 9 broken ribs, punctured lung, cut spleen and a whole lot of road rash.
    For the people who don't helmets; I would be dead if not for my helmet.

10. ElkHavenSeca

Did you mount the buck and have backstraps ..........i would have . Almost got a nice buck and doe the other day myself .............love the new brakes i just installed .Windy 2 lane country road came around corner to see 2 deer on the yellow line .

Will return there in the fall to try to harvest that buck !!

11. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

Twice. I forgot to put a kickstand down once. But i dont count that. 1St time was grave. 2Nd was spilled oil.

12. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    off road=0. never even ridden an off road bike...

on road=1. was run off the road when on a tight lefthand uphill curve a 20 something girl was coming down i my lane around that curve. i went off the road (maybe it WAS off road?) and then went over the handlebars hyper extending my left knee (torn ACL and Meniscus)...

on track=1. too much throttle and not enough clutch at the start of my 2nd trip down the 1/4 mile. stood the bike straight up on its license plate, slid down off the back of the seat and then scrambled out of the way when it fell over...

heres my first trip ever....

[​IMG]

114+ mph
    12.83 seconds

13. ElkHavenSeca

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Does dropping a bike while unloading it from the bed of a pickup count?

If not, then it's just once; practicing low-speed maneuvers in front of 35 other MSF students.

15. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I was trying to drag a peg in a parking lot, on a XS400 with my brother on the back. I had already done it with just me on the bike, and the extra weight made the bike dump right over - we slid 15 feet and had some scrapes. (30 years ago)

This shouldn't even count as a wreck on the street, as we were just screwing around. It DID ruin the day - family outing to Blue Springs.

16. lanker

lanker Member

Street - never laid down (knocking on wood everywhere, salt over the shoulder...)

Off-road - about once a week on everything from mini-bikes to CR250s from the age of 7 until about 19. BOY do I miss slingin!!

17. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

never, but i had a close call when i almost flipped my bike backwards, when i released the clutch to fast, instead i ended up riding a wheely for about 10 feet. scared the shit outta me! did i mention this was on the way to my motorcycle traing class, lol

18. Billed

Billed Member

I forgot to put he side stand on my street bike while parking it on the grass in front of my house, those it count as off road? Funny part is the instructor said the week before this might happen to a bunch of us newbies...

Other than that never. I'm still waiting for that one car that wants to occupy the same exact physical space as me I guess o_O

19. Vampirum

Vampirum New Member

Never have. A few close calls though.

20. karl

karl New Member

Once on an XS650 and 2 x times on an XS1100.

The 2 x times on the XS1100 were self inflicted due to stupidity. lol.

Like they say there are two kinds of bikers those who have gone down and those who are going to go down.

Put 100K miles on any bike and ride through all kinds of weather and you will eventually go down. Be prepared and dress accordingly.