1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Self cancelling turn signals acting up

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MidniteMax, Jun 28, 2013.

1. MidniteMax

MidniteMax Member

Yesterday, after about a 50 mile ride here in the south (80-85 degrees outside and our usual high humidity), my turn signals refused to self cancel.
    I toggled them back and forth while letting each side run what should have been appropriate cycle times and distances. The turn signals still refused to shut off until about the 5th time I toggled from right to left.
    Then, they started working fine.
    Maybe the self cancelling unit is failing. But I would expect that part to just outright die instead of acting up intermittently.

Anyone have this happen before?

P.S.
    Had this bike 10 years. Every part of it is still in great shape. Do all my own maintenance and know it inside and out. It's also garage kept. So rain/corrosion isn't a factor.

2. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Ehh, sometimes mine auto cancel sometimes they don't, my thumb has gotten used to just canceling them

3. jpacman

jpacman Member

I have the same problem even after cleaning the switch. I didn't want to lube anything critical so I left it kind of dry.

Is there something in there that should have a tiny bit of grease?

4. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

They work a majority of the time on both my XJ's. Notice I said a majority. I don't think you're experiencing anything abnormal.

5. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I pulled my self cancel module as soon as I got my bike. They're not reliable.

I'm programmed now to just do it myself.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The intermittent behavior is often the fault of the reed switch (in the speedo.) If it isn't working correctly, the auto cancelling unit doesn't know the bike is moving. Inspect the related wiring/connections too.

7. MidniteMax

MidniteMax Member

Thanks guys.

That was only about the second time that has happened to me between all the Yamahas I have owned and still own. From what you're saying, it has happened to a lot of folks and is more 'normal' than I had expected.

I don't think I'll worry too much about it for now.

Appreciate your replies.

8. CHassan

CHassan Member

Mine won't even stay on. I have to hold the switch on.

9. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

Cleaning all of the components makes a world of difference. I cleaned my turn signal stuff and put some DG on it, and now they work. I thought I was long to have to but all new parts. Try cleaning everything first. It's so easy and saves $$$$$