1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

first trip surprise speedometer is wrong.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Krafty, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Krafty

Krafty Member

hi guys i have a question for yous,

here is the situation. I know the original speedometer only went up to 85 mph or 140 kmh. the speedometer currently on this 83 goes up to 140mph and 220kmh.

but after riding with traffic today (first real ride on the bike) going to work and back I realized that what the speedometer read in MPH was actually my speed in KM/H.

So my question is . How can I re-calibrate the speedometer I have to read properly in km/h. is there something on the gauge itself I can adjust or do I have to replace the speedometer cable drive gear in he wheel hub?

also my odometer and trip meter are not working properly ( feels tight/ turns with friction when reseting the trip meter. would that have an effect on the reading on the speedometer?

2. Krafty

Krafty Member

anybody?

3. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

All the changes I have seen to convert miles to kilometers has been a fascia change not a calibration change.

If the odo is binding, you have a problem that needs attetion.

4. Krafty

Krafty Member

its not a miles to kilometer gauge swap its a 140km/h to 220km/h gauge swap.
    or for the mph guys, 85 mph top speed gauge to 140 mph top speed gauge.

when I'm doing 100 km/h the gauge says im doing 100mph or 160km/h(whatever the conversion works out to).

i plan on pulling the gauge cluster apart on saturday to look at the odometer issue.

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Check to see if the ODO is accurately recording your KM's

What was the donor bike ?? Lube the imput spindle when apart - look for Fitz's speedo thread.

6. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

Sounds like they just replaced the face.

If I were you, I'd get a real mph speedometer and be done with it. Just make sure you get the right model, electronic or mechanical.

7. MattsXJ

MattsXJ New Member

If you have an old smart phone hanging around connect it to your wifi and downlod a speedo app. I did this for a while while trying to figure out my speedo. Its easy, free and easy to remove when not on the bike. Just a quick band-aid.

8. MattsXJ

MattsXJ New Member

Quick add- the phone doesnt have to have service. The speedo apps work off of GPS and are surprisingly accurate.

9. Krafty

Krafty Member

okay thanks for ideas, I had a bin of parts that went with the bike to the shop when it was safety'd it had a busted up atari in it and a speedo with the 85 mph face I believe (busted needle) I didn't think twice about leaving it there if the parts would be useful in their hands, but that was before I found this issue, now I just need an excuse to add a 1 hour ride each way into my day to go pick it up.

10. jaypat86

jaypat86 New Member

Where would you buy an electronic speedometer to fit the gauge cluster? Or would if have to be modified?

11. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

He was talking about swapping the "guts."

All of the Yamaha speedometers of the era were mechanical; while tachs became electronic gradually.

What can be relatively easily done, with any bike that has "cluster" type instruments, is to drop a speedo mech from another Yamaha into the cluster. This is often done to get rid of the 85mph joke. I used one from a later 900 in my 550 Seca's cluster, for instance.

In the case of "canned" instruments, it's even easier. You just swap 'em.

Electronic speedometers came along much later, fitting one of those would require modifications.

12. Krafty

Krafty Member

sorry to revive the old thread but you're saying just swapping the speedo with one that is supposed to read up to 140mph would read correctly without messing with the speedometer drive cable from the front wheel?

13. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

Yes, that's right.

If you get a KPH-only speedo that's properly calibrated to your wheel size/ratio or dual KPH/MPH speedo it should read correctly since all the logic (however dumb it is) is inside the device housing.

You will not have the current problem of a mph speedo with swapped facia anymore.

One of these should work, scroll down for list of options depending on size, style, what have you:

https://www.mikesxs.net/products-46.html
    https://www.mikesxs.net/product/03-0748.html - might fit, double check size.

14. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's exactly what I'm saying. Virtually all Jap bikes of the era, ours included, had the same speedo drive ratio at the front wheel.

Makes this kind of stuff almost PLUG-N-PLAY:

[​IMG]

15. nycxj750

nycxj750 Member

Bigfitz52 you have that cluster on a SECA?

Looks real nice! I wonder if I could get one like that for my 82 seca 750.