1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

new project

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Frosty4232, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

Well when i got it the guy said the owner before him said it only needed a head gasket but he tore it all down anyways. He didn't mention the piston until i went to get it and he pointed it out to me. I'm thinking after he pulled the cylinder block off he whacked that skirt against something, but who knows.

I didn't really think about stripping it and sanding. That might be a better route to go for me. I've done por-15 before on my old harley tank because of rust, problem was that i had to be super careful not to get anything on the paint. This will be nice to do though since the paint is obviously no good. It's going to make it a h*** of a lot easier and quicker. I still have the old chemicals to do it but I think since this tank is pretty darn beat up with rust that i'll get another kit so it's all fresh.

2. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
  3. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

I don't think i'll even bother trying to rebuild this engine. I don't want to have to bore and hone and go though the process if trying to find pistons and rings. pistons for these 550's seem to be a rarity, and when you do find them they're expensive since yamaha doesn't make them any more. I'd rather get a complete used eng that runs and has proof of good compression. How long will it take to find one? I don't know, but I would much rather go that route.

4. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Frosty not sure where you are, but it shouldn't take you long to locate another 550. Since I bought mine in Sept of '11 I have seen 3 or 4 in my area on CL. That might not seem like much but I am in an area that is pretty dry when it comes to old SJM's. You can search CL, ebay, and Yakaz and it wouldn't hurt to check the junkyards and ask around.

You should turn on your location feature under Members options so members know where you are, who knows there might be one near you now.

5. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

Well I'm in charleston sc and there are two different motorcycle scrap yard within 2 hours of me. I think I may give them a call after I part some of this bike out to see if they have anything for me. I've never heard of yakaz but i'll definitely check it out. The only eng worth a darn I've seen on ebay is for a 650 and they're shaft driven... bummer. I wish they would have made them all either shaft or chain driven. I sure would love to dump a 750 in it.

6. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

7. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

No way. the first one is exactly what I'm looking for. Funny thing is, I'm originally from cleveland but the military has me stationed in charleston. The wife and i should be making a trip to cleveland in the next month or so. Lets seee if iI can conn her into bringing a motor back with me in the car. I'm also talking to a forum member in columbus ohio (We'll pass right by on the trip home) who has one for sale as well. I just don't know if i'll be able to fork up 300 bones right now...especially if the wife is with me. lol

8. ecologito

My wife is from Ohio, she went osu and we lived in Cleveland for a year. We do go to chuktown at least once a year.

Good luck

9. ecologito

Frosty,

Could you pick up a motorcycle for me in Columbus (not just the engine) and drop it off in Charlotte on your way home?

I just bought one and I need to find a way to get it here :)

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Frosty; keep an eye on Craig's list. You might be able to snag a whole other 550 Maxim, title or not, for the same price as the clean motor.

Either way, you'll be much better off starting with a viable motor.

11. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

Sorry, all I have is a little beat up cavalier. I got my bike home by pulling the front forks off, taking the passanger seat out and making 2 trips to get. Wish I could help.

12. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

That's what I would like to do. There's really only a few things I would like to get off another one which would be a decent tank, motor, carbs and wheels. I'll keep an eye out. If anyone else sees one let me know.

13. ecologito

Frosty,

Check your inbox, I sent you a PM, I may have found what you are looking for.

14. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

So I found exactly what I'm looking for. a 1981 running xj550. Looks to be in decent condition, not sure how good it runs either but he wants 300 bucks for it with no title. Perfect, because I have a bunch of spare parts and I have a frame with a good titel. Here's the kicker... I'm deployed overseas and won't be back for 6 months. Just my damn luck!

15. ecologito

Frosty,

Where is the bike, I may be able to help you out.

16. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

its in charleston sc. I'm going to try and call a friend with a truck to see if he can get it, but I'm not counting on it. I shot the guy an email and it turns out it doesn't run but did when he put it away. I don't care as long as the motor isn't shot though.

17. ecologito

Alright, good luck man.