1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Boiling carbs in lime juice

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Ravenz07, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

So I boiled my carbs last night in lime juice. They came out clean but seem to be coated in this chalky residue. What can I do to correct this? Reboil, than put in some boiling water or? It rubs off, but it would be difficult to do that to all of the carbs.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

When you take them out of the lime boil, you need to immediately rinse thoroughly with water and then flush them down with WD40 to displace any remaining water from the tight areas.

You didn't boil a still-assembled rack did you?

3. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

I did. Everything I read said it would not harm rubber or throttle seals...

4. bigfitz52

Oh golly.

Well, I guess you're gonna find out. There's no good way I know of that you'll be able to effectively rinse the lime juice out of the throttle shaft seals and seal chambers; and now the seals likely have no more lubrication left except lime juice.

The common recommendation is to not even submerge an assembled rack, let alone soaking it or boiling it.

At this point, I would proceed, but pull the rack back off after you've got a couple hundred miles on the bike, and try to force some lube back into the throttle shaft seals. But you'll have to wait for the lime juice to bake out.

You may end up doing throttle shaft seals at some point in the near future.

5. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

This is true. I guess at this time it is worth a try just to see what happens. I should really ask before I do stuff lol

6. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

On my Rc plane carbs I use a crock pot full of antifreeze, it seems to clean them. I am curious as to wether or not it would work the same on the xj carbs. The big diffrence is that the rc fuel thinkins up, it comes out when it heats up really easy. There is also talk on the Rc forums I am on about how you shouldn't rinse the carbs with wd-40. Some thing to do with it haveing water in it.. or some thing.. I am not sure on any of this I am just wondering your thoughts fitz.

7. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

I know WD40 displaces water. So if you spray it on any rubber or lubricated anything, it removes the moisture, taking away lubricating action, or drys up the rubber

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

the only thing WD40 is good for is taking price stickers off plastic, get some LPS1 and live happily ever after

9. bigfitz52

I recommended WD40 when I thought he was dealing with bare metal. Once the "whole assembled rack" came to light, WD40 is no longer a good idea, for sure.

10. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Ahh thats what it was, it would do somthing to the lubricant.

11. RudieDelRude

RudieDelRude Member

did you use a black coated "non stick" pot?

If you cant get rid of the deposits, find a plating shop. Theyll be able to dip it in some kind of acid, takes two seconds. The one down here didnt even charge me to dip the carbs real quick after they got covered in soot.

12. RudieDelRude

RudieDelRude Member

split the rack first though, im pretty sure the throttle shafts, among other things, are made of a different metal.

13. bigfitz52

BAD idea; a strong acid dip could end up changing the diameter or rounding off some of the tiny internal passages. If you got away with it, fine; but not a recommended good idea, sorry.

Better to stick to non- or mildly-corrosive cleaners, like citric acid (lemon/lime juice.)

And still not a good idea to submerge an assembled rack (or carb) in anything. Submerging, boiling, etc., is for stripped carbs, not assembled ones.

14. RudieDelRude

RudieDelRude Member

These guys deal with all different kinds of metals and have different acids you can't just get over the counter. They knew what they were doing fitz. I didn't just hand my carbs over to some kid with a random bucket of acid.

I will admit, i was skeptical, first guy had an "Lets dunk it and see what happens" attitude, next plating shop i called i talked to a guy who had actually dealt with unfortunate boiling mishaps with carbs. So i guess i did get lucky, by finding a guy who knew how to deal with this.

15. Beneficiall

Beneficiall New Member

For cleaning crbs, via boiling method. You're saying, it's advisable to separate carb rack into four units, and while doing this. The only thing you're boiling is the metal? All floats, needles springs amd everything else have been removed?

16. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Get some of this and see if you can get it in the throttle shaft seals. I use it for all manner of things, zips, rubber stuff, 10/10.

17. Beneficiall

Beneficiall New Member

Get some of what?

18. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

19. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Whenever a plating shop dips anything into acid(many different types), said parts are always put into a water bath afterwards.
    Hopefully the carbs weren't still assembled during that process.

20. bigfitz52

If boiling, or even submerging carbs, EVERYTHING means everything. Which does entail breaking the rack, and also includes removing the butterflies and throttle shafts. If you don't plan to remove the butterflies and replace the throttle shaft seals, then DO NOT submerge or boil the carbs even if separated.

This thread is (only) two years old. Let's do the carb cleaning Q&A in YOUR thread: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=43363.html