1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Am I Doing This Rite? Checking Valves Shims

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by YourHero, Jul 17, 2013.

1. YourHero

YourHero New Member

Ive Read The Form By Fritz On Valve Shims And Read The Haynes On How To Do It. As Of This Current Point Im Checking The Clearance On The Valves. On The Intake I Cant Get A 006 or 152mm In There On All Four. On The Exaust side Starting Left To Rite 1-4 #1 008-203mm #2 006-152mm #3 008-203mm #4 006-152mm I Have A Gauge Coming That Goes Lower Than 006-152mm So I Can See What The Intake Side Is At. Does Those Numbers Sound Rite? And Do I Need To Replace Some?

2. YourHero

YourHero New Member

***Update*** On The Intake Side #1Through #3 Are At 004-102mm #4 005-127mm, Now To Make Sure The Lobe On The Cam When Getting The Spec Must Be 90* From The Shim. So The Valve Is Fully Close? And Do I Need To Replace And Shims?

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

If a 0.006 gauge goes in all the intakes getting a thinner gauge will tell you nothing. What you need to know is if the 0.007 will go.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but if you're using SAE gauges the intake should be 0.004 - 0.006 and the exhaust 0.006 - 0.008.

The correct gauge for the gap will have some drag but not be really difficult to slide in and out.

4. YourHero

YourHero New Member

After Double Checked It, I Still Come Up With The Same Specs. So I Think I Am In Good Don't Need To Replace And?

5. YourHero

YourHero New Member

Well After Tripple Checking, The Valves Are Good, One Problem Going Back Together. I Snapped The Throttle Cable ( Figures ) So Waiting Now. Thank You MiCarl For Your Help!