1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. z32800

z32800 Member

Ordered replacement front brake lines for my XJ750E II that my 7 month old pup decided to chew; bet she wont do it again though! (she was throwing up for about an hour afterwards)

2. iluvtrinisoca

iluvtrinisoca New Member

Made my very own battery bypass. Been driving me crazy!!! it was easy to make and now no more battery warnings unless my voltage really does drop. Thanks again xjBikes for the specifications.

3. steber

steber Active Member

Changed out my backlight on my speedo that went kaput. Luckily I ordered a few from Chacal for when my tach light wasn't working. Becoming a pro at removing the cluster. Still a PITA when trying to get those 10mm nuts back on! Word to the wise; if one goes replace them in pairs! Silly mistake on my end!

4. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

Replaced the throttle cable, still working on epoxy-welding a small crack by the valve cover that seeps oil, looking like will need high-temp glue to take care of it.

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

6. ghostrider619

ghostrider619 New Member

Looked at it and sighed... Not running

7. mcamaj

mcamaj New Member

8. steber

steber Active Member

Rode it! Longest trip to date. 200 miles; she rode well. Idle wwnt high after the long ride. Was hanging at 1800. Will check on it after she cools down. I'm now in Maryland getting ready to feast on all you can eat crabs!

9. JohnStonePhoto

JohnStonePhoto Member

Looked for the suction port to add Freon to the A/C. Kidding, it's just been hot here lately...

10. JohnStonePhoto

JohnStonePhoto Member

Looked for the suction port to add Freon to the A/C. Kidding, it's just been hot here lately...

11. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Stripped down the swingarm and steering head for new bearings.... that i THOUGHT were gonna show up in the mail today :(

12. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Installed 4 valve shims. And installed a new on/off petcock, no more leaking from that thing!

Man she is VERY responsive now! Thanks to everyone for their help and big thanks to Fitz for his outstanding tutorial. Removing horn, pulling the valve cover, pulling the shims, replacing the shims, putting back valve cover, reinstalling horn, less than an hour! I feel accomplished :) Took her out for a 40 mile ride and am very happy. Carbs are still dirty, still working up the courage for that. Next up, complete front brake rebuild (MC, Caliper, SS brake lines, new pads) Looking forward to it!

13. MidniteMax

MidniteMax Member

Finished valve shim service after having received and installed two shims from hogfiddles' shim pool. Thanks for the prompt shipment!

Cleaned off the old valve cover gasket material (what a bear)!
    Now, I may repaint the valve cover.
    About ready to inspect the steering head bearings, replace the fork preload spacers with longer ones, install some eurobars, and lightly sand on the brake disc.

14. sebwiers

sebwiers Active Member

Finished the last of my frame mods; now its time to blast, paint, and put the engine back in!

15. cbrozefsky

cbrozefsky New Member

Finished the front brake rebuild, finally. Turns out I did NOT lose the anti-rattle clip for the brake pads that goes on top of them, it was just stuck to the part of the fork where the caliper is mounted! So, I'm not an idiot, but do have a brand new anti-rattle clip that I don't need.

I then put the gas tank back on, and started it up, and it fired right up. I had the choke on, and it would die when I took choke out, until it warmed up a bit. Once warm, she runs fine and holds idle at proper rate.

Also installed some new-to-me mirrors, tho I will need to strop them of a the lousy black paint job done on them. Along with the mirrors I got a new set of handlebars too, but am not installing them until I polish clean them up. Went to auto parts store and got a mini mothers polishing ball, a scuffing ball for cleaning up some rust, some touch up paint, and sea foam. Thinking tmrw I'll get that done.

This concludes the safety and basic check part of my work on the bike. On to performance and cosmetics!

16. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Sweet man, you took the gas tank off to do the brakes?

I'm about to rebuild my entire braking system, interested in why you took the tank off.

I still have no idea how to remove the caliper lol. Did you go with SS brake lines? If so, how will that affect your new handlebars as the SS lines don't twist at all!

I don't like the handlebars on my bike, they hurt my back after about 20 miles... Need to get new ones quick!

17. spinalator

spinalator Member

Got the bike out of long term storage. Pulled carbs, completely cleaned, new battery. Today, put new sportster mufflers on the bike, first time it has been running in a long time, final synch tomorrow, and time to take it on the road tomorrow.

18. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

yet another oil change. After making my xj my daily driver, I'm racking up the miles quick.

4000 miles in just under 2 months.

19. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Did an oil change today. Then rode to a bar about 30 miles away. Great day!!

20. 82NewToMe

82NewToMe Member

Rebuilt front brakes, replaced brake pads. Easiest thing I've done yet, pistons were stuck pushed them out with a grease gun attached to the bleeder.