1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. cbrozefsky

cbrozefsky New Member

No, I had it off to do the valve clearance check and shim replacement.

There is a bolt on the bottom of the caliper, you unscrew that and the caliper drops down. It's on a "pivot" so it has some side to side play, which is essential. I suggest you get the Haynes manual, it will make life much easier.

I went with SS lines as well. There was no issue with the lack of twist, as the banjo bolt heads are properly aligned when they are made. As for turning the bars, there is no change in the relative orientation of the cables when that happens, so no issues at all. It really just means you gotta pick the right cable with the right end up and facing the right direction when putting the system back together. Good pics along the way make this trivial.

The whole process was really easy, in retrospect. I psyched myself out a few times along the way tho, and made it take much longer than it should, just because as a programmer, I tend to work my way thru problems by overthinking and making a big mental model and avoiding committing to a course of action. It appears I can get alot more done, alot faster, and without any significant drop in quality if I let it rip.

I have to finish moving the bike to my new insurance before I can take her out and break in the brake pads, harhar.

Your arms are maybe shorter? I have ridden it for days at a time without problems. I'm 6'1 and ride bicycles alot (lower back strength makes a big difference).

2. strange246

strange246 Member

Got my new brake lever, clutch lever, clutch cable, choke cable, and speedo cable in the mail, ordered EVERYTHING to rebuild my carbs, paid for my new Canadian issue gauge cluster and found 2 nice feeler gauges that will work splendid for checking the old Turbo's valves! :D

3. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

cbrozefsky, thank you!!

And no, my arms are very long! I'm 6'2 185 pounds with long ass arms! Do you sit back enough to extend your hands? My arms are very bent at the elbows when riding.... I get this "C" shape in my back with those bars.

4. Cptnvortex

Cptnvortex New Member

I went and got my license... well the 2nd step of the learners anyway! Now to actually get some highway riding in, I cant wait!

5. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

6. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

This weekend is my course!

7. strange246

strange246 Member

Best money you'll ever spend MC wise

8. 82NewToMe

82NewToMe Member

Finished wiring... getting close

9. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Strange that's what I hear. I'm really looking forward to it actually. I think I'll have the carbs out of the bike by the time this weekend hits, I was gonna ride my own bike at the class, but I'll just use their 250's :)

10. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

82New, what kind of wiring are you doing?

11. strange246

strange246 Member

Seriously, I almost died last August in a bike wreck, I did EXACTLY what they taught me, and it would have worked in any other circumstance!

Ryan

12. 82NewToMe

82NewToMe Member

full rewire, bobber project so i used the simplified wiring diagram

13. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Wow, glad you're alright man... Now I'm really looking forward to that class.

14. cbrozefsky

cbrozefsky New Member

I did the MSF course here in Chicago as part of getting my license, and it was indeed very valuable even if I felt like it was slow moving.

I recently did a Lee Parks Total Control course here, and that was extremely useful for some of my touring on the east coast, since you know, in the midwest there are no curves anywhere. I recommend the TC courses if you want to learn alot more about making the bike go fast around corners.

15. Cptnvortex

Cptnvortex New Member

Yes I am saving up to get it done. I'm also riding with 2 others who did the local course within the last year, using their study material and riding with them with intercom/bluetooth systems on our helmets. I've already taken in so much, even before I started riding. It's all great tips and tricks to stay alive and seen!

16. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Pulled the carbs on my bike tonight. Step 1 of the terrifying process ahead lol. Taking them out really wasn't bad at all, quite easy actually!

17. moellear

moellear Member

on my way to work this morning (riding the 550) I felt like a tiny midget when I pulled up next to a Boss Hoss at the stoplight.. if you've never heard of them look it up; the engine is a V8 and the width of the rear tire alone is probably close to half the width of my entire bike. I knew they sold them near my employers' location, just never been that close to one before. And damn, they smoke ya when the light turns green!

18. bobcat5540

bobcat5540 Member

Glued gasket to Valve cover and installed on engine, installed load equalizers from SDC and wired to LED turn signals.

Slow and steady wins the race. Plan on installing engine back in frame this week.

19. randomchad

randomchad New Member

Within the past week I took off the rear fender and added a trailer fender (unpainted so far), put on a temporary solo seat, added a bar to hold my mountain bike fork so I can haul my bike to the trail head, made two seat pans out of fiberglass to be made next week, changed the rear 1157s to LED, made a bracket and fitted 2 Hella Driving lights (which i might switch back) and today I swapped out the original bars for some of Bikemasters Daytona bars and they are AWESOME!

20. z32800

z32800 Member

Chucked the tank back on and started it, run for about 5 minutes. Getting ready to paint it before summer kicks back here in NZ.