1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rear shocks - Maxim-X

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by KA1J, Jul 29, 2013.

1. KA1J

KA1J Member

I've never removed the rear shocks on an XJ and am wanting to polish up the existing shocks and later, to put progressives on the X.

It seems clear that to remove them I simply have to unbolt them but when replacing the originals, do I have to do anything else like compress them in a certain way before putting them back on, because they will extend past the bolt holes? Or will the holes remain lined up & I just have to re-bolt them on?

And, when I get progressives, will I have a different issue & if so, how to you best get them on with the least fuss?

Thank ye.

2. jayo84

jayo84 Member

I asked the same question and never got an answer. I just went for it and its no problem from what I did. with the bike on the center stand the shocks are relaxed so you can just unbolt and take it right off. I just did one at a time.

3. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

Hes right no big deal. The back tire will lower on the drive shaft so id reccommend putting a small board or something under it just to be safe. You dont want to unnecessarily stress it.

4. jayo84

jayo84 Member

Ya, thats why I did one at a time, 1 shock staying installed seemed to relive any over travel problems.

5. KA1J

KA1J Member

Thanks!

For the future progressives I'm going to put on, is there any finagling or do they bolt on seamlessly?

6. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

You just have to make sure you have the right eyelet (or eyelets). In some cases you have to get creative with washers. Just make sure you record the correct shock mount sizes on your bike so you know what to order. I think they're all 14mm, but I could be mistaken.