1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ-650 maxim Tank Emblem Screws... What size screw is it?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by TurtleDaddy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. TurtleDaddy

TurtleDaddy New Member

My 1980 XJ-650 maxim got a new tank just before I bought it and didn't come with Emblems... I want to make custome emblems but need to know the thread size of the screws. If anyone knows the specifications that would be great... Thanks!

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You do know that new Yamaha badges are still available for that bike (and all of the 550s) and aren't super expensive; XJ4Ever has them. He also has the screws.

Ill pop a screw loose and check it if I haven't misplaced the blasted thread pitch gauge again...

3. TurtleDaddy

TurtleDaddy New Member

I have alot of screws nuts and bolts in my garage and none of them fit...I can normaly pick out size and thread just by looking at it, but this one is throwing me for a loop. I have a small tap set that came with thread gauge and nothing on the guage matches up...Getting mad, but not givin up.

4. bigfitz52

That's because most of these blasted JIS screws are oddball thread pitches not commonly found elsewhere.

I'll get you the answer; just might take a few.

5. pbergin

pbergin Member

Re: XJ-650 maxim Tank Emblem Screws... What size screw is it

They're M4-.70x6 You can get them at Lowes for .56 for 2. They're aluminum color, so you might want to hit 'em with some black paint. Way better than paying $9.95 for 4, or whatever those thieves are charging on e-bay.

6. bigfitz52

Which is why we don't buy our parts from eBay, except for no longer available things like mufflers or body panels. We have XJ4Ever.

eBay USED TO BE a great resource for NOS parts at pennies on the dollar; I got some fantastic strikes five years ago. Then the economy tanked. Now those very same sellers seem to think they can charge double the original MSRP; and crappy oriental "pattern parts" abound.

By the way, Yamaha still sells the correct screws as well, but they list at $2.95 each.

XJ4Ever. Last I remember they were under a buck for the real, black screws.