1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oh great ones, I seek your counsel...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xjnewbie2, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

don't get all caught up in the can't do a running sync because you didn't set the valves first. because you can. right now or after you clean the carbs, your out of sync, so if you did a running sync today it would run better
    BUT
    you do need to set the valves and when you do the sync will change and you'll have to sync it again.
    BUT
    then you'll know how and it won't be a problem. heck, you might find you like it so much you'll get up early on saturday mornings just to sync your carbs

2. xjnewbie2

xjnewbie2 New Member

Cool. That's kinda what I figured, but I wasn't about to get all "disagreeable" with anyone since I did ask for advice from people who know much more about these bike than I do.

:lol: There may be more truth to that statement than you know. I dig this kind of stuff.

When I brake into 'em here soon I'll run a thread with pics like so many have before. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through the recent "Carb cleaning adventure/questions thread!"

3. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

You don't need to have the bike down while you're waiting for shims. Just checks the clearances, record the clearance values and button everything back up, including new gasket and donut washers. All this takes is 1hr max. Then order the shims you need and repeat! Problem solved lol

4. xjnewbie2

xjnewbie2 New Member

Exactly friend, that's the plan!

5. Joiner

Joiner Member

While I do like to buy from Len first and foremost to help out a guy who helps back....check a local dealership. You'd be surprised how cheap the shims can be. And be thankful you don't have an X on your budget replacing 19 shims that are more expensive (like I am). Online price was $24 a piece, Len's price $14 a piece, local dealership $6 a piece. I'm on a budget as I'm getting married in December on my own steam, but its okay, I told Len I'm going to donate him the 19 shims I take out (waterhead shims don't wear down).

6. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

And usually you can swap some of the installed shims around and get some in spec that way. I had 5 out and only needed 2 shims, but I did check the swapped ones with a caliper for proper sizing and of course re-checked clearances once they were all in place.

7. xjnewbie2

xjnewbie2 New Member

Joiner:

Thanks for the advice. I'm placing an order with Len now for a few things I need. I too want to give him some business since his articles and such have been so helpful to me but... bottom line means a lot too with 6 mouths besides my own to feed. I have a local dealership where I've purchased a couple of things. I'll see what they can do on shims. As well as checking out this "shim pool" that's been mentioned a few times.

MercuryMan: I'll definitely keep that in mind. Looks like I'll be purchasing a caliper in the near future. One of the "too-numerable-to-mention" tools I once owned and have no idea where it ended up. Ugh...

8. Joiner

Joiner Member

You might be able to plead your case with the shop and if your shims are within measurement they might swap them for free as well, my local shop wouldn't unless I paid for the valve adjustment to be done by them but who knows, maybe they'll have a heart.