1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Towing a 1982 xj 650 "dolly style"

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by tcarr289, Aug 5, 2013.

1. tcarr289

tcarr289 New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm new to the forum and maxims and I have a few questions about towing using this method. [​IMG]

My questions are:
    1) Has anyone ever done this with a maxim or other shaft drive bike?
    2) Does anyone have first hand knowledge of whether or not this will harm the internals of the bike if I tow it like this? I'm not looking for someone who "thinks" it will, looking for someone who "knows" and can explain how this will harm the bike
    3) If this can permanently damage the bike then how is it that so many companies sell these things and haven't had the crap sued out of them yet?

I have read numerous threads on this subject and I haven't yet found one that will satisfy me one way or the other. If you can find a good thread on this and just send me the link to it that would be great too!

Please don't post saying "uh just buy a cart dude!!!"
    I realize that I can buy a small cart but I am not going to do that. If I have to pull the driveshaft to do this or tow it by the rear tire instead of the front then that is what I will do. I have to get this thing home, about a 350 mile trip, but if it is ok to tow without taking it apart I would probably use this a few times a year on vacations and such. I appreciate your advice in advance. Thanks guys and have a great day!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Mike82mxm

Mike82mxm Member

I would say it aint good for the forks, as for the drive shaft im not quite sure bout the rest of your questions but im possotive somone will jump in and give you an answer here right soon.

3. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

4. Mike82mxm

Mike82mxm Member

"Please don't post saying "uh just buy a cart dude!!!"
    I realize that I can buy a small cart but I am not going to do that. If I have to pull the driveshaft to do this or tow it by the rear tire instead of the front then that is what I will do. I have to get this thing home, about a 350 mile trip, but if it is ok to tow without taking it apart I would probably use this a few times a year on vacations and such. I appreciate your advice in advance. Thanks guys and have a great day!!!!!!"

just wants a straight answer.

Im not sure what would happen and I dont know how it would be possible towing from the rear tire at all without the front of the bike playing peek a boo in iether side mirror.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

My semi-qualified/unqualified opinion:

I've known several people over the years that tow their dirt-bikes using a receiver dolly, and one who towed a HD Wide Glide that way.

Towing that way just to get it home shouldn't cause any issues for the bike, though I wouldn't rely on that method for regularly towing one (vacation, regular trips to rallies). Just be aware of speed-bumps, potholes, step driveway entrances, etc. Drive like you're towing a trailer, because you are. Give yourself extra stopping distance, and don't turn sharply. I'd make certain that the head bearings are adjusted properly....too much slack and they'll get damaged. Be sure the bike is in neutral, the driveline will be fine freewheeling.

6. tcarr289

tcarr289 New Member

lol. i knew someone would do that.

you have to license a trailer $$$$
    I would have to wire my car for lights = more$$$$
    plus trailer costs = $$$$$$$$
    You get the idea.........

This is my plan.
    I already have one of these
    [​IMG]

Im gonna get this and mount it to the cargo carrier
    [​IMG]

Just my thoughts. I can do this for like $45
    I'm just sayin........

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Rent or Borrow a Pickup.

Buy some "Tie-downs"

Get the Bike in the back. May require Union Stevedores.
    As the Marines would say: "Improvise"!

Get the Bike all the way forward ... Front Wheel against back of box.
    Anchor the Front Wheel to the Pipes or Center Stand.
    Anchor Left and Right Handlebars to Box. Make Bike "Kneel"

Remove Seat.
    Anchor Left and Right FRAME at Upper Shock Mount to Box Sides.
    Rubber Mat under Center Stand a plus.

Alternatively:

Remove Fuel Tank, Battery and "Breakables"
    Procure discarded Mattress.
    (Call Mattress Store for one they will remove and dispose for Customer getting New Mattress).
    "Improvise"

Place Mattress in back of Pickup.
    Lay Bike on Mattress.
    Secure Bike from moving.

Properly dispose of Mattress following the adventure.

8. tcarr289

tcarr289 New Member

I appreciate the replies but most of them are not what i'm looking for.
    I know how to tie down a bike and I am aware that I can rent a truck.
    I tie down heavy equip to aircraft for a living so that is not the issue, I just want to know if I can pull this thing on rear tire without tearing up the tranny.

Specifically, what moves inside the tranny when the bike is in neutral and you are pushing/pulling it? If i know that I can determine whether or not I can safely tow it. With the front tire elavated the oil will be in the back RIGHT WHERE THE DRIVE SHAFT CONNECTS!!!!! It would therefore stand to reason that whatever is turning would be submersed in oil but I don't know what is turning.

9. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I was just truing to point out that for a little more money you could have something that will be more versatile . Yes it would cost more but a trailer will be much more useful. Providing you have a place to store it. My 4x8 trailer was only 300$ and adding wiring to the car cost less then 20$ for the converter. Life time NC plates are 65$ , then you never have to pay the yearly fee.
    The MC tow device will work and not damage the bike. With the front tipped up there should be enough oil to lube the drive gears in the trans. Removing the drive shaft is not a quick and easy thing to do, could be done in a hour or so. Not really necessary though.

10. tcarr289

tcarr289 New Member

that is what I have been thinking. I just wanted to get some other opinions to set my mind at ease. Thanks

11. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I would use one but be careful of the road. I have seen tires popped using those. They are just not my preferred way to transport a bike long distance.

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

13. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

harley's are primarily chain-drive.......I believe they pull the chain off to tow like that.....if they even tow them like that. But, I don't have a harley, so I don't know.........and don't really care.

I personally wouldn't even THINK of towing a bike in that manner. The larger xj's are shaft-drive, and to pull the shaft out, you have to pull the punkin off. Which means disasembling the rear of the bike. Put it all together to tow, take it all apart to put the shaft back in, then put it all back together to ride. And, you WON'T get the shaft back in in a couple seconds.........you'll get good at lining up the splines, but it will still take some time and patience.

It seems that you only want answers that say go ahead and do it.......I'm not going to say that. sorry. My recommendation is to flatbed, trailer, truck bed, or ship.

In the long run, do what you want....................good luck with your travels!

Dave F

14. Mike82mxm

Mike82mxm Member

How can that be good for the forks in any way with all that weight trying to pull the forks backward when accelerating and pushing on them when coming to a sudden stop?

15. pjk_xj700

pjk_xj700 Member

I towed my cl450 from Wyoming to Michigan in this fashion. Chain drive bike, so no help there. But, one thing I didn't like was the angle you put on the bike when turning. The rear tire is way behind your turning apex so the bike will lean in every corner, but IN to the corner, not out. It's quite weird. Also do NOT expect to back up your car with a bike on the dolly. The bike turns and angles / leans immediately. It was quite unnerving, as the bike leans a ton, putting a lot of strain on the steering head.

16. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

Not an expert, but it would seem you would be better off putting the back wheel in the hitch and strapping your handlebars to keep them straight.

17. Krafty

Krafty Member

a good way to wear out bearings if you ask me.

borrow a PICK UP TRUCK. easier cost effective and does absolutely NO damage to the bike if strapped right.

or uhaul trailer, pickup near the bike then drop off location near where you are going to end up more money than borrowing a truck but also a 100% safe way to tow a bike.

if you have access to the right equipment just use it and forget this stupid dolly idea.

18. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

The only way I would use that dolly is if I had absolutely no other options. I think that was designed for emergency situations and not for common use. Most of the motorcycle caravans always have chase vehicles and use the dolly to get a downed bike to the nearest repair facility, not designed for a 350 mile trip. If you use it, make sure the back brakes are adjusted real loose, that the hypoid oil in the differential has been drained and refilled with fresh oil, the fuel tank is empty, and I would use ratcheting tie downs from the handle bars to the dolly to collapse the front forks as much as possible. But like I said, I would do this only if I did not have any other options on the table. hope this helps

Also, reading around other sites, I don't know if even towing in neutral will create a problem in the transmission since the oil is moved in the engine and transmission by the oil pump when the engine is running. Maybe Fitz or Rick can better answer this.

19. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'm no shaft drive expert; but I do know that the transmission relies on pressurized oil (as in, the motor running) for proper lubrication.

If you absolutely have to do it this way, I'd disconnect the drive shaft so the only thing being spun is the "pumpkin."

20. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

doesn't look like a good idea if you ask me. Don't think it would be good on the headset bearings, forks, or pumpkin....