1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Quick Valve-check question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ryevans21, Aug 7, 2013.

1. ryevans21

ryevans21 Member

So I measured my clearance on intake #1 as 0.10mm (out of spec). I left the bike to sit for a couple days awaiting my new shim. I decided to check once again before installing the new shim and it was now 0.11 or 0.12 (cant remember for sure but nonetheless IN spec). So I turned the crank a few cycles and checked again and it was back to 0.10mm.

I concluded it must have been the oil film on the cam/shim contributing that extra 0.01mm, which got replaced after cycling the engine. Anyone else experience this?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Or you have a sticky valve and when it doesn't close/seat fully it gives you a "wider" (and in spec) reading.

Did you use "the tool" or the "zip tie trick?" I ask because it's also possible that a small piece of carbon got dislodged, got on the seat, and kept the valve from seating fully until it had "cycled" a couple more times.

I'd run the motor, let it cool down fully (overnight) and re-check.

3. ryevans21

ryevans21 Member

Thanks, I used 'the tool'.