1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 XJ 750 Gauge replacement

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by NS_Rider, Aug 8, 2013.

1. NS_Rider

NS_Rider Member

I have replaced my gauges, lights and bars from a 83 650 maxim, and have everything installed and working. The only problem is that I had to keep the center warning display hooked up to get ti to start, and for the headlight harness. I did a search and couldn't find anything on how to bypass the warning display. does anyone have a wiring diagram or something to help me?

2. Bruce_M

Bruce_M Member

Here: http://xj650.files.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... jpg?w=1200

Not quite sure what you need by "center warning display". If you mean the neutral light, oil etc.. then it doesn't matter if these are hooked up or not. Only the kill switch and key affect anything in the gauge/handle bar area.

A Haynes manual has the above wiring diagram and much more.

What sort of gauges did you put on? :?: I recently added some generic mini (2.5") speedo and tach. If you go this route you will need to add diodes to the turn signal wires before they connect and feed into the gauge.

I wonder if you have grounded a wire from the starting circuit? Got a picture of the setup?

Attached Files:

3. NS_Rider

NS_Rider Member

My bike is a 750, and the wiring harness going to the warning displays, has to be hooked yo to work, also the connector for the headlight comes out of this box

4. NS_Rider

NS_Rider Member

I put the 650 gauges on a 750

5. NS_Rider

NS_Rider Member

I was just working on it and the bike will start without the box connected, but no tail/brake lights, and I will have to rewire the headlight

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

7. NS_Rider

NS_Rider Member

After reading cturek's post i was able to eliminate the warning display