1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 Can't Shift into 2nd

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by adr3naline, Aug 12, 2013.

1. adr3naline

adr3naline Member

Hey! This 83 xj650 can shift between 1st and neutral, but can't shift into second. I saw this post: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=2 ... tml#229499, and read through the possibilities of it being a bent fork or disintegrated primary chain guide.

First, the clutch cable seems to be wrong: has no adjustment bolts at the clutch end, and has no adjustment disc nut at the lever. But it did ride at one point, but there's not real way to adjust this clutch.

Second, I will open the right side cover to inspect the clutch linkage and make sure we're all in place.

Third, I would suspect either the bent fork, or damaged primary chain guide.

Is there anything I might be missing? Any other possibilities? Thanks!!

2. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Were you trying to shift with it sitting, or riding?

3. adr3naline

adr3naline Member

Both. I've had it up on the center stand, running, and riding it around. Will only go from first to neutral, back to first.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you should look under the left cover and inspect the shifter mechanism. little spring in there that will do that sort of thing if it breaks.
    you NEED to be able to adjust the clutch cable, there's no sense going any farther till you can

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

+1.

There's really nothing in the way of a "linkage" inside the RH (clutch) cover; your problem is most likely a broken spring in the "mousetrap" (or a chunk of chain guide stuck in the shift forks.)

Both of these possibilities can be investigated by removing the LH (shifter) cover. (Have a new gasket handy.)

As usual though, Mr. P is right; the clutch cable NEEDS to be able TO BE adjusted.

6. adr3naline

adr3naline Member

Great! Thanks for the tip everyone... it lead me straight to the problem.

I pulled off the left side cover, and found all the linkage to be just fine, springs are fine, etc.

[​IMG]

I then glanced inside the hole into the gear box, and found a chunk of plastic wedged in towards the front (you can kinda see it in the first picture). Once I dislodged it, I could shift up to second just fine.

Here's the chunk:
    [​IMG]

So, I guess the only fix here is engine removal, and split the case, right?

7. xjdaver

xjdaver Member

Wow. Sort of looks like Fitz's chain guide hypothesis is correct.

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yep. It will continue to "chunk apart." Meanwhile you can keep picking pieces out.

Get a factory service manual if you're going to split the cases.