1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Getting ready for the bobber...

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by XJ1100, May 6, 2013.

1. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Hey guys, I'm at the point of trying to figure out the seat issues. How to mount the solo seat and how/if I mount a pillion pad so I can take my girlfriend for a spin now and then.

Ideas on a mostly solo XJ bobber with an occasional 2up rider?

I need ideas! I'm open to all! Thanks!

2. tcarr289

tcarr289 New Member

I.m thinking of doing this to my 82 650 maxim also. What I'm working through in my head right now is fabing a sissy bar/ pillion seat combo on its own frame, which I will be able to attach to the frame of the bike, maybe under the seat. I will make it so it is quick to attach/detach, like maybe 4 bolts. I'm sure it can be done (probly has been done), but not sure how I am gonna do it yet. i'll try to make a thread when I get around to doing it, but it might be a while seeing I'm gonna be out of town till Early Oct. Looking forward to seeing your progress

3. tcarr289

tcarr289 New Member

4. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Holy expensive seat Batman!

Yeah, that's a bit more than I wanted to spend. I spent a whole $400 on the bike and I'm spending a little more to turn it into a bobber. I can't afford to spend that much for an occasional seat. It's going to be a solo bike for the most part, but I would like to take the girlfriend for a ride now and then.

I do appreciate the idea though! Thanks!

Any more ideas? Something simple, inexpensive, and removable?

5. tcarr289

tcarr289 New Member

Yeah, too expensive for me too. I only paid $500 for my bike. I'm planning on making my own and just use the pic as an idea for designing one.
    Your best bet will probly be the suction cup seat someone mentioned before. A friend of mine uses one and it works well. Hope you find a solution.

6. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

it's "Harley" that's why it's ungodly expensive

7. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Thanks to you tcarr for the idea though!

I'll probably just go with a suction cup design. Cheap, easily removed, and they look decent. She won't be on it much anyway.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'd love to hear them! And thanks to everyone who has tried to help so far!

8. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

I'm re-thinking the suction cup pillion pad idea. I just don't like the way they mount and I want to keep my girlfriend on the bike when we go for a ride.

I'm going with a soft tail and have a single non-spring solo seat. There is plenty of room behind me for a passenger pad, but I can't seem to find one with rigid bottom, bolts, or bolt holes to be able to hard mount it to my bike without spending a small fortune.

Does anyone have any ideas where to look for a removable, bolt on pillion pad that's not going to set me back too much?

I'm looking forward to getting this thing done, but need to figure out the seat issues so I can tell how the rest of the lines are going to look.

Thanks again for everyone's input so far!

9. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

I would get a rear seat from a 85-86 Max or Virago. Uses 2 screws on the front thats hidden by the front seat, but you'll need to rig a small c-frame for the rear to hook into.

10. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Love the suggestion. Thanks!

Will it fit on my frame? Any idea how wide they are? I know anything I do will be a custom job and require some modification. I just want something removable, comfortable for short rides, not too expensive, and something that doesn't look too goofy and out of place.

Again, it's going to be a solo bike for the most part. But I would like to take my lady on a ride now and then. Hence the "removable" part.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming! Anyone have pictures of what they did for an occasional 2-up bobber?

11. Orange-n-Black

The 85-86 Max rear seat is 12" long and 10" wide.
    Have you had a look at J&PCycles.com? Look at the Virago and V-Star seats.

12. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

I looked on JP for seats. I really didn't find much under $100. I can't believe there aren't cheaper options out there.

13. MarkV

MarkV Member

I made my own, check it out in my gallery.

14. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Sorry for the confusion. I have my solo seat. I'm looking for a removable passenger seat or possibly a pillion pad. It's going to be mainly a solo bike, but I'd like the option to take people for a ride now and then.

I'm having a hard time believing nobody else has done this or has any good ideas. It has to fit within the rear frame behind my solo seat, I'd like it to be removable, and I'd also like it to be somewhat comfortable. At least for a short ride. I'm also trying to do this on a tight budget. There are many options out there, but most are too expensive. It's also hard to tell what will fit and what will look good on the bike from pictures. I was hoping somebody has done this and had some ideas or pictures.

15. MarkV

MarkV Member

XJ1100, do do have a close up picture of your seating so we can see what we are dealing with. I will check it out later, heading out, Killington Classic baby.

16. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Sure, this is a mock up of how the solo seat might look on the bike. I'm trying to picture a passenger seat or pillion pad that could mount behind it somehow. I don't want it to sit up too high. I like the look of the lower rear end.

I don't know how to post it. It keeps saying the file is too big. I'm not sure how to shrink it to fit the attachment requirements.

17. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

I hope this works...

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      51 KB
      Views:
  18. RookieRider

RookieRider Member

make your own... and use 2 of these broom wall mounts.
    one on each side of your pad and snap on the frame rails...

Just a thought haven't actually done it myself.

Attached Files:

19. 82NewToMe

82NewToMe Member

I like where that idea is headed.

20. Orange-n-Black

That's a good idea RookieRider.