1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gear speeds

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hoffer1187, Aug 7, 2013.

1. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Marzka, that would be nice man! I have no one to ride with out here! It's just a tad further than 15 miles :) You have cigars international out by you too. You're a lucky man!

Wow 5k for cruising... man I have to change the way I ride yet again! The more I change the way I ride, the more fun I have on this machine.

2. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

It's all preference, I shift to 2nd right after finishing my turn, or getting going. then I shift at 4k through to 5th.

I do run it up to 10k every now and then, but it sucks the gas back doing that :)

Next bike will be a torquey v-twin. What can I say, I like low RPM and that pulling feeling. I4's have a nice smooth power delivery, but I don't need that much vibration on my... things... lol

3. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

You might be surprised that the vibration will get even higher if you step up to a harley. Might even shake up a few old fillings lol So I wouldn't use that as a reason to switch to a vtwin.

4. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

:lol:

:D

OMG

Ain't nothing good gonna come from this

"But officer I was just keeping the RPM's in the correct power band range."

So I was going up to 6k before shifting and in a blink of an eye I'm doing 70. . .

This just became even more fun! :p

I need to find a track to really get my ya-ya's out on, flying up to a car that was three blocks ahead of me 5 seconds ago is NOT a good thing.

Must practice self-control!
    Be the bunny!

5. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

Hoffer, its like kleraudio said. cage shifting is nothing like that Xj, even when you think your screaming - your not! You really gotta get that tach working to truly experience and appreciate what that bike has to offer. even then, until you become familiar with the high tach riding, you will feel apprehensive about it. You'll begin to realize the performance differences and quickly learn what the bike likes.

kleraudio, 5,500 is only where the fun begins... Twist that throttle at 7k in 3rd and hold on! These things are built to scream. Ha, wait till you realize what you've been sitting on! People might give you funny looks when they see you grinning ear to ear, in the wind Please, update us after you get the chance to open her up a bit.

6. buzz81mach

buzz81mach Member

I completely agree with holding throttle wide open until it screams like crazy, and then keep it coming. Oh the rush. The first time I did that, I had to stop because my grin was so big. I couldn't see anything past my cheeks. These bikes are so much fun.

7. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Oh god, I'd NEVER buy a harley... But I could handle 3k vtwin over 10k "nutbuzz" :)

8. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Dude. Wow. Yes!! Ok so I went for a 70 miler today. Took her up to 7 and 8k and holy crap this is a whole new bike!! I only went 'up to 7 or 8' still have yet to actually twist the throttle wide open when at 7k... I may have to try that next.

What a great thread!! And yea, the more and more I ride, the less and less I shift like I'm in my cage. This thing is FUNNNN!!

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i'd like to see the look on your face after your first ride on a R1 :)
    someone on here, has a TL1000 suzuki, suzuki said that one was too much fun.

10. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Ha, yea I'd love to ride an R1! I rode a Kawasaki Z1000 and HOLY CRAP. I'd love to have a street fighter bike like that when I have a garage.

You've taken an R1 for a spin I take it?

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

actually never rode a R1, R6 but not R1, this is a yamaha forum so i picked R1.
    this sounds like it needs another thread

12. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

haha yea off topic, sorry OP!

13. last_child78

last_child78 New Member

This thread is a revelation for me. Like the original poster I am new to my bike (82 XJ750RJ, inherited from my father when he bought a newer Yamaha). I had been shifting up through the gears very quickly, because I was afraid to rev the engine too high. After reading through this thread last night I went to bed and dreamed about tearing up the roads. I got up this morning and made those dreams come true! Second gear is now my new best friend.

14. Rayjay1959

Rayjay1959 Member

My 82 xj750j does 55mph at 4100 rpm, 65 at 4900 rpm and 75 at 5500 rpm. Living in the mountains, nothing more fun than running a curvy mtn road in 2nd gear at 7000 rpm :) The motor is the brake ;)