1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front end possibilities...?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by prince_albert3, Sep 28, 2013.

1. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

I've been running some ideas through my head for a week or so. Wanted to hear from you guys on the matter. Maybe some have tried them before? I am wanting to run a wider front rubber and dual front brakes would be nice...

I was at the scrap yard looking at what I was told was a pile of XJ1100 parts. I didn't think they looked right, turns out it was a pile of XS100 parts.

That lead me to search for other front end options. I began checking out a Yamaha Radian. I put a micrometer on the Radian tubes as well as my maxim. I believe they are the same size. The Radian runs a 110/90-16 with dual front brakes. Not a wider tire but it looks beefier since it it smaller. I've been running fenderless so I might be able to get a 120 in there.

Do I use the entire front end, ie. trees down, or just the lower, I think the Radian front end is a bit shorter. I was also curious if I could just run my original 19" maxim rim in the Radian setup? Thats probably less likey...

Any thoughts ? Am I crazy?

2. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

My son has a 120/80-16 on the front of his Radian. Plenty of room. 110/90-16 are kind of hard to find.
    Compared to my 700, the Radian forks are about 4 inches shorter.
    If you ever make it to PA's north shore, look me up.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Re: running fenderless: The original Yamaha fender incorporates a nice stiff fork brace that is spot-welded into the inside of the fender; when you take the fender off you give up that brace.

The Radian is a "parts room bike" with pretty basic suspension; if you use the 19" Maxim rim and the tubes are the same size, what's the improvement? Dual discs?

Keep in mind that the Radian is based on the 550 Maxim frame which means shorter tubes than your Max, etc.

4. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

I would put a 110/90-19 on the Max rim. My son in law did it on his Max and it looks and handles good. I would put one of those c-shaped braces on there if your not going to use the fender.

5. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

If the the tubes are the same, I throw the Radian lowers on my Longer tubes. hopefully this will allow me to use my Matching rim after slapping a second rotor on it.

As for the fork brace, im working on it...