1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aussie XJers

Discussion in 'Other' started by brenton, May 9, 2006.

1. neronova

neronova Member

There was actually about 900 XJ750RL's made, Canada got 601, and you Aussies got the rest. They are rare, but its surprising how they pop up. I have 2 as well! Haha! And I know of a 3rd in my area. But I mean, out of 900, I know of maybe 25 of them in road worthy condition, if I count your 2, your buddies 2, my 2, a guy in British Columbia with 2, the one at a local motorcycle shop and a few I have seen on the bargain finder across Canada. It seems like they are common, but I mean 25/900 really isn't a lot. That only accounts for about 3% of these bikes. I wonder how many are still on the road though? How many of the original 900 are still out there...

The only thing I have to say about yours, I hate the original paint scheme. Both of mine have been repainted, one Yamaha R6 Blue, the other is Metallic Blaze Yellow.

Nice to know that there are others out there that appreciate these bikes! :)

2. knuts2a

knuts2a Member

Very nice job John, looking good..
    My biggest bug bear is i don't have a centre stand (the 4-1 gets in the way) for working on the bike. Has any one fitted a bike frame lifing pegs like they use for racing bikes with out stands? Or any other simple gadjets for the workshop.

3. millencolin

millencolin New Member

G'day

Just saying hello, i have receantly bought a XJ900 (1983) and am planning to strip it down into a cafe racer (sorry guys) but the more i look at this model the more i like it stock so for my second one i would be looking at the turbo model but need to do the cafe racer first....

ill start a thread on the cafe racer build hopefully i wont get banned for ruining the bike in most peoples eyes.... 8O

cheers
    Al

4. knuts2a

knuts2a Member

Welcome Al, as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, :lol: , everyone has there own tastes, i like a big fairing and tank bag. All the best with your project. There is also a Facebook page, Yamaha XJ Owners, which has a few pic's of peoples projects.
    Cheers
    PeterN

5. Shaynus

Shaynus Member

Hi everyone
    I find myself in a quandary. Just brought a bucket of snot XJ750 with the intention of a bobber / cafe custom.
    Just checked the vin and discovered it is one of these red blue and white jobbies, of which there is only 200 in Oz.
    Should I continue with my rat bike, or should I not cut up a 'special'?
    Also, does this mean XJ900 running gear will bolt straight in (swing arm, etc)?
    Any other west Aussies on here?

6. Groundhangers

Groundhangers Member

Show us a pic of it Shaynus.

Im all for conversions, no matter how rare. Also it would depend on the condition the bike is in. If the paint is in good nik, id find it hard to mod. On the other hand if the paint is razzed and your changes dont include any major modifications to the frame or plastics so the bike can be brought back to its original glory, it would sit fine with me. That is just totally my opinion.

Greg

7. Shaynus

Shaynus Member

Well, it has been down the road on it's side. Bent forks, broken front fairing, no seat or any rear panels.
    Certainly not pristine at all!
    I was going to chop the frame at the rear... after I get it licenced, IF it ever gets that far!

8. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

Everything but the motor is the same as the 900 as far as I know Shaynus.

9. Shaynus

Shaynus Member

Cheers for that gunna
    The amount of knowledge on this site is impressive.
    Do the 900's have Bigger rear wheels / tyres than the 'normal' 750's?
    And front wheels too for that matter??

10. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

11. Shaynus

Shaynus Member

Thanks for the link Bushy, I didn't realise the significance of the 'RL' at the end of the model name.

I'm glad I've found out it is actually a 900 frame before I went ahead and brought 750 components for the seat, rear fenders, tail light etc, off the web.

Now I have to search to see how interchangeable 750 and 900 body work bits are...sigh :wink:

Here (I hope) is a photo of the beastie. I had already taken the tank off (pretty good nick really) before the shot.

Attached Files:

12. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

If you look at it like you have a 900 with a 750 engine may simplify the procedure.

13. Shaynus

Shaynus Member

Yeah, that's what I have decided to do. I passed up a really cheap 900 for parts just before I committed to buying this one. Kicking myself now!

14. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

Yep I bought 2 900's as parts bikes, 750 hasn't moved because I'm riding the 2nd 900.

15. Groundhangers

Groundhangers Member

I kinda knew what model my bike is and when i do, i buy for an 81 model. Gunnabuild asked me what model i had, so i thought id have a good look at the plate. Ive noticed on threads and specs that after the JX750, it seems that it always ends in R - RJ or other, mine has nothing on the end.

Ive looked up the RN1-code and it tells me that its Australian and 1981. Could anyone tell me what i have, and do i buy R parts?

Date is 6/82
    [​IMG]

16. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

17. Groundhangers

Groundhangers Member

Yeh thanks Bushy.

I knew i seen it somewhere before, it was under Chacal's ID & VIN's post.

MODEL NAME: XJ750
    STREET NAME: 1982 XJ750
    MODEL ID CODE: 5N1
    FRAME ID: 5N1
    SERIAL NUMBER STARTS AT: 003101

Mine serial is 004 something, so 82-83 RJ RK it is then. Actually makes things a little clearer.

Cheers
    Greg

18. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

19. Groundhangers

Groundhangers Member

It sure has done some touring, will go cheap too.

20. knuts2a

knuts2a Member

Bugger living 6 hours drive from all the good bargains! :cry: