1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

what parts are compatable with a 1980 xj750g

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by AlanMc, Oct 3, 2013.

1. AlanMc

AlanMc New Member

I have an xj750g from 1980 and its really hard to find the parts specific to this model. can anyone tell me what year models will work with it.

2. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

It should be rare, all right, I can't even find the service manual in my references, it is like a 1980 XJ750 doesn't exist...

3. AlanMc

AlanMc New Member

i have no clue. thats what im begining to think. im new to the bike world and i picked up a project for 100 bucks and it came with a title. the guy said it was a 1980 yamaha xj750g. i have found very little information on them and parts are even harder to find.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Look on top of the transmission, above the clutch cover (the big round thing on the RH side of the bike.)

You'll find a number stamped there, an alpha-numeric prefix, followed by a bunch of numbers, like 5G2-nnnnn or 4K0-nnnnn, etc. That is the model code of the bike, followed by the "nnnn" which is the actual serial number, and it can be looked up here: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14577.html

5. AlanMc

AlanMc New Member

thank you so much

6. quebecois59

Maybe the previous owner or someone else put a 750cc engine in a 1980 XJ650G frame? According to the informations bigfitz linked us to, a 750g doesn't exist.

7. AlanMc

AlanMc New Member

the vin number i have on the motor matches the frame but im having an issue finding anything on it... even the link bigfits52 posted isnt helpful because thats for a 81+ model. mine only has a 9 digit vin number not a 17 digit.

8. AlanMc

AlanMc New Member

never mind i figured it out... i didnt read far enough into bigfitz52 post.. thanks you guys i figured out that its a 1980 xj. according to the info on that link its a 650 but the engine and title say otherwise but ill look into it further

9. quebecois59

It wouldn't be the first time there's a mistake on a title. SOme XJs are titled as XSs and the opposite.