1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1978 xs400E

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by idiot27, Jun 4, 2007.

1. idiot27

idiot27 New Member

Ok, I know its not an xj, but I need some help. I'm trying to revive an xs400. I got it started, ran rough but I expected that as it has been off the road for at least 7 years. Freed up the floats and slides it runs but I found the right muffler(sitting on the bike) was a lot hotter than the left where do I go from here?

2. SalCycle

SalCycle Member

THere's lot's on carb issues on this site. I'll give you my humble opinion.

IF the carbs are on the bike, check fuel level in the pots.

If carbs are off the bike, (pulling the carbs might be the next step anyways) then start cleaning. See Rick's post in faqs. Will be different carbs, but you'll have to do essentially the same things: Strip the carb/s, and get the carb cleaner out and make sure all passages are clear.

Set your carbs up on the bench (approx how they sit on your bike when bike is level side-to-side) and check/set the fuel level. (See threads on bench setting float level.)

3. Fraps

Fraps Member

I agree with SalCycle. The carbs should be cleaned up. One pipe hotter than the other? I assume the xs is a twin and not an inline four? If so, then one carb is running far richer than the other heating up the one pipe. Get yourself a colourtune analyzer and really dial the air fuel mix in along with a carb synch.

4. idiot27

idiot27 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep working on it.

5. idiot27

idiot27 New Member

Ok, put everything back together, now I have no spark from the right plug, any suggestions on where to go from here.

6. idiot27

idiot27 New Member

[quote="idiot27 Ok, put everything back together, now I have no spark from the left plug(not the right sorry for any confusion), any suggestions on what to check now.[/quote]

7. Fraps

Fraps Member

Check the coils for winding resistance - make sure they aren't cooked. Also check that the spark plug boot on the end of the wire is on there tight. It likely screws on so give it a turn and make sure it isn't loose.