1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

head gasket

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by japcrap, Oct 12, 2013.

1. japcrap

japcrap New Member

Has anyone out there ever purchased a head gasket or even new rings for a 86 xj700s?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you need those parts, contact XJ4Ever. Click on the logo/link in the site banner, upper right; pm member chacal; or send an email to "info AT xj4ever DOT com" with your needs.

I believe he will have the head gasket, ring availability may be limited. It appears as though Yamaha only ever offered standard, 2nd oversize and 4th oversize to begin with.

3. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

i purchased (and replaced) my head gasket this summer. i ordered an entire gasket kit off ebay from japan for i think about $90 which is a pretty good deal, since sometimes the head gasket alone can cost that much.

replacing it is a lengthy process and you will need a manual for it to be done properly. and while you ahev the head off you can also check and lap your valves since youve already got it off. better to do it now when you have it apart then to put it all back together to find out you need to take it apart again.

4. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

double post

5. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

SilentRaven, I'm planning on replacing my cracked head, valve job and gaskets as my winter project. What was the ballpark price that you ended up spending, if is not a secret?

6. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

not counting time that i spent doing everything.. (about a month, working before work and days off)

i believe the replacement head cost me about $30 off ebay
    gasket kit was $90 also ebay
    misc. parts from Xj4ever maybe $15-$20
    and vlave lapping compound $4 from autozone

you can check out my progress on replacing the head in this thread here. the thread also shows how i made my own vlave spring compressor.
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=42706.html

7. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

I am working on sourcing parts for a similar project. I did speak with Len (username Chacal, XJ4ever) about this. The 85/86 airhead head gasket is DISCONTINUED. there is another one that fits (IIRC 83 750 maxim) but it is .15 mm(?) thicker, and the head needs shaved by a machine shop, or just have to deal with lower compression.

I would also suggest purchasing an "engine gasket kit", because, as Josh said, while it is apart, there's other stuff you are going to want to do.

8. japcrap

japcrap New Member

I don't really have much time for forums but I've been having a tough time with this maxim project. Thanks for the leads. Some I've tried and struck out but the Japanese kit or the over thick 83 version gives me hope. I've been thrashing crashing rebuilding and customizing bikes of all makes since the early 70s. ya I,m old but I can still throw down a 1000 mile day on my Heritage and never see a freeway. I'll get this maxim running and when I do I'll post a photo. For a dinosaur like me the photo will be a bigger challenge than the Maxim.