1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What Do you use??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by coastie550XJ, Jun 7, 2007.

1. coastie550XJ

coastie550XJ Member

I want to clean my turn signal... (can't think of the word) box?? where the switch is at?? anyway, what do you guys use to clean something like that in the inside?? my right turn signal works only half of the time, and i just think the that switch is dirty inside and i just want to clean the whole thing out and see if that will help.. if you guys could give me suggestions that would be great!

2. WarDog12

WarDog12 Member

Any electronics cleaner will do. You can it up at a store like Radio Shack. Usually around $4 for a can. Clean, tight connections fixes a myriad of electrical gremlins.

Toothbrush will work for those hard to reach places. See if you can swipe an AP brush from the armory, basically the same thing.

3. Pacocase

Pacocase Member

Yup. It's usually called contact cleaner or electronics cleaner or if you're really old school, tuner cleaner. Spray it on and run the switch several times. If it's really bad, clean it with a brush like WarDog said. When I put mine back together I used conductive anti-seize to keep it from getting stiff or corroded again.

4. coastie550XJ

coastie550XJ Member

Alright! thanks you guys, this was really helpful! now off to Radio Shack as i have nothing to use here!

5. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

I used WD-40. Sprayed some into the switch (which was OK for right, but intermittent on left) back in March and no problems since.

6. Dispatcher

Dispatcher Member

Contact cleaner is exactly what you want, but be careful what you buy as there are 2 types. One CANNOT be used where there are plastic or rubber parts as it will MELT them.

7. Altus

Altus Active Member

The problem with WD-40 is that it's not meant as a cleaner - mainly a water displacer with a lubricating side-effect. It will also collect dirt and grime as time goes by.

The electronics cleaner is a better choice, IMO

8. coastie550XJ

coastie550XJ Member

well i got the contact cleaner, and that works fine, except now my headlight won't work, but i'll get to that later, as of course as one thing lead to another, i'm now cleaning my bike likes never been cleaned before, i'm taking all road grime, and bug everything dirty apart and cleaning the crap out of it! thank god i'm waiting for a package otherwise i would be out riding the bike around, and not worry about the dirt, but now i'm at and getting it good and cleaned!!

9. Pacocase

Pacocase Member

You didn't run the headlight wires properly around the shields when putting the switch assembly back together. The lead for the headlight is getting pinched by the cover and is blowing your fuse. I did the exact same thing when putting mine back together. See those two little metal guides? The wire goes behind them so it doesn't get pinched. I went through like 5 fuses before I figured out what I had done.

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

I use alcohol (technical grade, not the whimpy stuff in your medicine cabinet) to clean up the insides of my headlight handlebar cluster. I'm with Altus. WD40 will work in a pinch but I would still clean up after you use it, the stuff is not the best choice for electrical cleaning. You could use that whimpy medical grade alcohol to flush after the WD.
    To take it further, I use a miniature sand blaster to clean out up any corrosion on the electrical contacts. Bit of an expense but there is no equal.