1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel line connections

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by txaggie44, Nov 16, 2013.

1. txaggie44

txaggie44 Member

Quick question for you fellow XJers. When I got my bike the carbs were off of it and in a box, therefore I have no idea where the fuel lines hook up at. Could anybody post a pic of the two lines coming off of their X carbs and where they hook up to?

2. tom66

tom66 New Member

the vacuum line of the petcock conects to number 2 or3 vacuum port on the intake manifold, the fuel line connects to the barb in the center of the carb rack

3. txaggie44

txaggie44 Member

Thanks for the input tom. My carbs have two fuel connections, one between 1&2 and the other connecting 3&4...

4. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

the ones between 1&2 and 3&4 on an x should be the vents. the fuel line hooks up between 2&3

5. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

This is what I think you are looking for. Ignore the red circle, it's just a pic I used to show the idle screw.
    *EDIT*
    The dull black line is the main fuel in and the two shiny ones are the vent/overflow lines.
    [​IMG]

6. willem

willem New Member

hi guys,

ive also got a question about the fuel line but mine is hooked up oke but when i let the fuel in the line its flowing from the overflow lines see picture please (sorry for my bad english) is there something stuck ore whats going wrong ?
    [​IMG]

please a little help thanks.

greetings willem. :wink:

7. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

Willem, sounds like your float levels need to be wet set or your needle isn't seating properly to stop the fuel flow. In either case, If thats happening with the carbs on the bike, there's a good chance that you now have gas in your oil. Pull off the oil filler cap and take a whiff...if it smells of gas you need to change the oil before you run it again.

Here's a pdf file for wet setting the floats http://www.xj4ever.com/setting%20fuel%20levels.pdf

8. willem

willem New Member

Hi midnightmoos , sorry for the late reaction but i am going to try this today
    and see what going to happen thanks for the advice.

greetings willem :lol:

9. txaggie44

txaggie44 Member

I know what the lines are but am unsure of where all of the hoses are supposed to connect to other components of the bike. I've also got some sort of line that is coming out of the left side of the bike, a hair above the foot peg, on the transmission casing (I think it's called?) and I don't know where the free end is supposed to go either

10. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

Sounds like the crankcase vent hose which originally attached to the airbox. Since you have pods and no longer have the airbox on the bike you'll have to put a breather on it, which is essentially a small pod filter.

11. txaggie44

txaggie44 Member

So where on the bike do the two overflow/vent lines hook up? I know the main fuel line hooks up to the side of the petcock and the vacuum line hooks up to the back of the petcock down to the intake manifold but I'm not sure where those other lines go

12. tom66

tom66 New Member

The overflow lines don't hook to anything the just hang over the back of the engine in a hose clip

13. tom66

tom66 New Member

The overflow lines don't hook to anything the just hang over the back of the engine in a hose clip

14. txaggie44

txaggie44 Member

Thanks for the input. So I installed the carbs after cleaning them to try and fire the bike up, but still had no luck. No gaskets were leaking or anything, but when the petcock was on "pri" there was no fuel dripping from the air filter part of the carbs. However, when it was put on "res" fuel was dripping from carbs 1-3 but not four. When I was cranking the bike the first three carbs were sucking pretty hard but the fourth was not. Also, when I put the key in and turned it "on" everything lit up like it should but as soon as I pushed the starter button the headlight went dim and nothing happen at all. Once I let off of the button the headlight turned back on. So to turn the bike over I just used an old screwdriver to complete the circuit and the starter was turning over nicely but the bike didn't want to crank by any means. Any possible reasons why this all happened and how to fix them?

15. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member