1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Why do I have a black engine?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mercuralis, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Mercuralis

Mercuralis New Member

I tried searching on the site here for the specifics on this, but I couldn't find anything. I've got an '86 XJ700 but the engine is all black. The case, the cylinders, the head, everything. I'm seeing quite a few XJ700s from a similar year with a natural finish.

What is the differance, if any? Was it an option, or did a certain editions of the bike come with the black engine?

2. Piersol

Piersol Member

Is yours a Maxim X? Mine is an X, and the engine is all black with the exeption of the top of the cylinder heads- the "valve Cover"

3. Altus

Altus Active Member

Could be anything - most likely at PO saw one of the "Midnight" models, liked the look, and painted the engine.

Difference? Cosmetic -- might have a tiny affect on the heat transfer from the engine, but nothing worth concerning yourself over.

4. Mercuralis

Mercuralis New Member

No, it's not a Midnight X. It doesn't have the heat gauge either. The tank and everything else is painted a dark maroon (looks original).

I'm sure it won't affect anything as far as performance, but just curious as to why I'm not seeing many non-X with Black Engines.

**EDIT** Is there anywhere we can referance what options were available in 86? I don't think someone painted the engine. The paint is perfect.

5. MAX-X

MAX-X Member

Mercuralis, Before I got my X I had an 86 XJ700 & the engine cases & cylinders were all black as well. matter of fact, I still have the engine in my garage.

6. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

It's black because Yamaha painted it that color! ;) Seriously though, they did. Some of the Seca's have black engines and some don't. Have no idea how Yammie decides to paint them, whether the dealers order them that way or they ship them to certain regions based on market acceptance.

7. welderflame

welderflame Member

My 86 max came with the black motor also. I suppose it was cheaper to paint than to polish.