1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Recently Aquired an XJ900F

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Rain_Man, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member

Hiya,

I have Recently Aquired an XJ900F :)

Do all the 900's have a vibration felt through the seat between 4 & 5 thousand RPM ? or is there something up with mine, she runs brilliantly, but im just curious to find out if this is normal :)

Cheers,

Rain Man

2. SimonRef

SimonRef Member

Hi,yes My XJ900 does this, it equates to about 60 mph in fifth gear,it disappears as you speed up or slow down.Balancing carbs might help alleviate it to less noticeable levels.Welcome to the wonderful world of XJ's, a much maligned and underrated Bike. :wink:

3. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member

Ok, thank you & yes, from 60 mph through to 75 mph (4 - 5 thousand RPM on my bike) it vibrates, but above & below this, she is silky smooth, if im in this zone & decelerate or accelerate she still vibes until she is out of this zone.
    Its gonna take some getting used to this lol
    Other than the vibes, she is a Great bike, just gotta put some new Fork Springs in as the Originals have compressed over the years, so im bottoming out alot at the moment :/

Rain Man

4. murray

murray Member

As well as new progressive fork springs , one grade heavier fork oil makes a big difference, cheers , Murray

5. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member

Cheers murray, i will bear that in mind when i change them :D

With Hagon progressive springs, do i need to make spacers for them or are they already the same length as the original springs would have been when new ?

Getting back to the vibes, will i hurt the engine if i ride in the vibe zone alot, cos, to be honest, i usually ride between 65 & 70 mph anyways, i just wanna be sure im not gonna hurt the engine ?

Cheers,

Rain Man

6. SimonRef

SimonRef Member

No need to worry about Engines their Bulletproof.Asl long as you change Oil and filters regularly youre good to go.If the Cam chain is in Adjustment all is good.The Primary chain can go thats an engine Tear down.If the Engine sounds like a Bag of Spanners when cold its a good indication of a Duff primary Chain.

7. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

Is it just like a slight buzz or like full on bar jiggle? Normally in that range our bikes tend to "hum" and that wont cause an issue. But i normally just ride faster. ;)

8. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member

Thanks SimonRef, my bike has only done 22464 miles since new, whats the average mileage when the Cam & Primary chains need replacing ?

My engine does sound a bit dodgy when starting up after its been left a week & the temp outside is below 8 degrees Celsius, but when warmed up, she sounds fine, i really don't wanna have to get it stripped down so soon :(

What tell tale signs should i look out for with the Cam & Primary chain wear ?

Yes, sometimes i can be quite paranoid, more so when i have not had the bike long :roll:

The buzz is only through the seat, my bars don't vibrate at all & yes when i take it past that rpm range, i find im at 90+ mph & i dont wanna lose my licence lol

Cheers,

Rain Man

9. SimonRef

SimonRef Member

At 22000 your Engines is hardly Run In :D .These engines are good for 150,000 miles if looked after.If you like giving it the Beans, change your oil more frequently maybe Twice a season.A loose Cam chain really shakes the Bike through.Transmission snatch is a good indicator of a primary chain on its way out,again on Tickover you can hear it thrashing away.Like I said at 22,000 miles youre in an Enviable position ,no need to worry just Enjoy your Bike.

10. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member

I do have transmission snatch when riding, yet, when i put the bike on its center stand & try to feel it by moving the rear wheel forwards & backwards, i cant feel any snatch, i also dont hear any thrashing at tickover, even if i rev it a bit, man im really paranoid now :?

Cheers,

Rain Man

11. SimonRef

SimonRef Member

I really dont think you've got anything to worry about your Low mileage Engine indicates this.Vibration and transmission snatch could be indicators of carbs in need of balancing,if you are not happy with your engine try that you will get smooth pickup good tickover and hang on tight acceleration.

12. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member

Cheers SimonRef, i have no idea if the carbs are balanced or not, the engine pulls like a train & feels very responsive, tho i have not tried a fast WOT, so i assume they must be balanced up quite well :)

Cheers,

Rain Man

13. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

Pics or it didn't happen :lol:

14. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member

Here are 2 pics of my 1988 XJ900F on the day i rode her home :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Rain Man

Franz likes this.
  15. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Nice tidy example! Check for rust at lowest point at rear of tank though....

16. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member

I removed the tank & had a look at the rear bottom part of tank & there are no signs of rust that i can see, the paint finish is all smooth with no bubbling, so guess im ok :D

Cheers,

Rain Man

17. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

nice bike!

brakes ought to be looked over though, old lines, old pads, and check the date of the tires, anything over 5 yrs toss

Welcome RM!

18. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member

Thank you, the brakes are fine, brake lines seem ok, no bulging, so i think im ok on that & i also put new tyres on her a few days ago, new brake pads will have to wait til the new year tho :)

Cheers,

Rain Man

19. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

20. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member