1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

SUCCESS STORIES of PODS and 4 into 1 EXHAUST

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by TIMEtoRIDE, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Newb21

Newb21 Member

Lhicks, thanks for the info :)

2. lhicks

lhicks New Member

Bocaj25, I used 54 mm pods to fit the flexible couplings, but if you were going to mount them directly to the carbs, I think you would need a 52 mm. Maybe someone else can verify that. And your welcome Newb21

3. thejewishguy

thejewishguy Member

Good thread

4. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

I thought I heard a vacuum leak. I don't believe running the flexible couplings
    are helping you. Why don't you fit the filters properly?

5. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Looking and listening at your vodeo, I clearly heard an hesitation every time you begin to accelerate, just below 2000 RPM I guess.

It wasn't smooth in the low range.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It has a definite stumble. At the very least, a "weak spot." Stock XJ650R's don't.

A properly tuned stock bike would easily fit it for a new one. On a silver platter and all that.

Just sayin.' I know you said that you're not "riding a 30 year old bike for top performance." But if your 'mod' hampers performance over stock, then...

Unless you're suddenly getting 56MPG this doesn't qualify as a "success" story. Sorry.

7. jcro61

jcro61 Member

1. (Model) XJ700
    2. (miles, or K's) 33,000 roughly
    3. (compression average) havent tested.
    4. (elevation) roughly 250ft above sea level
    5. (intake) PODS, no velocity stacks.
    6. (exhaust) MAC 4 into 1
    7. (jets, other mods) 116 Main 40 pilot, pilot screws 2 turns out
    (comments) I just started tuning this thing. Wide open throttle pulls pretty strong. Idle is the shits when cold and gets better once warmed up. Either way bike will start easily cold with choke and once warm starts easily without it. I should be able to get it dialed in better once I fix the brakes and can safely stop while testing. Once the brakes are working I can going to work on the needle height and then get the idle set properly.

I think it should be said that while the pods are probably not the best idea, a lot of it comes down to the tuning of it and your experience or lack thereof. In my experience a lot of the issues tend to come from peoples lack of understanding how the carb actually works. When there is a problem, they also do not understand the cause. Also I suspect most people are trying to tune for pods on carbs that have worn parts, especially on $300 bikes that have been sitting for a decade.

With that said, I encourage all the people who have the sub $500 bike and want to mess with it to go for it. It will be great for you to learn on. Having an inoperable $500 bike is better than having a more expensive bike and screwing that one up.

8. bigfitz52

#1: Valves in spec? NO? Then you missed #1. OK, maybe on your list it goes in between #2 and #3.

You also need to accurately wet-set the floats, and get it sync'ed. THEN you can "tune" it.

But not if the valves are tight.

9. jcro61

jcro61 Member

I didn't realize the format included a fully detailed checklist.

10. bigfitz52

Sorry, you were naming off all the stuff you'd done; and a lot of people seem to skip or gloss over the most important step. You skipped a compression test, and that's valuable info to have.

So are they in spec or not?

11. jcro61

jcro61 Member

I checked the clearances. I did not check the compression because I just didn't have a gauge handy at the time.

I do not expect to have it run 100% amazing and all that. I got this bike for free and am basically just amusing myself by putting it back together and get it running. The stock air box is nowhere to be found and I do not plan to buy one either. The pods came with the bike. My plan is to hardtail it and beat the crap out of it basically as it is not my only bike.

I know that doesn't fit into many peoples idea of what these bikes are meant for but to be honest, this bike has been passed through 6 peoples hands and sat for years each time. So at least it is gonna be ridden now.

12. sine80

sine80 New Member

1. (Model) 1982 XJ550
    2. (miles) 7,000
    3. (compression average) unk
    4. (elevation) ~500 ft
    5. (intake) K&N ovals
    6. (exhaust) 4 into 1
    7. (jets, other mods) Pilot = 37.5; Main = 120

13. sine80

sine80 New Member

Fixed.

14. DG13

DG13 New Member

Hey Sine, how is your bike running?

15. sine80

sine80 New Member

Going through the steps: valves, carb cleaning, mixture, syncing works. I was thinking yesterday that this bike has never run better since I've owned it. Don't skimp on the carb rebuild... It's really not that difficult, just takes time and parts.

Sorry for the dark photo.

image.jpg

16. DG13

DG13 New Member

Nice looking bike! I am doing a rebuild on the same bike right now, I just removed the engine so I can paint the frame. Looking forward to the rebuild!