1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

these are the worst motorcycles ever

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by fatabebabe, Mar 26, 2012.

1. altlandf

altlandf Member

I agree with JPaganel. I have a 95 Lebaron that the left front speaker never worked. They have two connectors that plug into the radio. One connector had power and the other connecter had all of the speakers I thought. Looking at the wiring diagrams Chrysler place the left front speaker wire on the power connecter. Eversince I purchased the bike 2 years ago I have been putting money into it. This summer I purchased another bike of the same year so I have spare parts. I have 3 sets of carbs. I have done all sorts of maintance to the bike. I change the oil after I got the oil filter thing off. Replaced the coils and valve cover gasket. The bike leaked like a pig. I think I spent plenty of money trying to keep the bike running. I had the bike I purchased this summer running with starter fluid. I sprayed a little in number 1 spark plug and it started but it wouldn't stay running. I sprayed a little more starter fluid into the engine again and removed the air cleaner. When the bike started I sprayed starter fluid into the air box for about 10 seconds. I wouldn't take gas. It would have contiuned to idle if I kept spraying starter fluid into engine. I stopped after 10 seconds. I don't think that's a good way to run a bike. The reason the engine wouldn't run is floats were frozen with brown hard stuff.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Pags, you might be onto something.

So now, in order of degree of diatribe we have unmasked the following diabolical purveyors of seriously flawed products:

-Yamaha
    -Hitachi
    -Honda
    -the Pennsylvania Dept. of Motor Vehicles
    -and now Chrysler.

Damn. It's a wonder how any of them have stayed in business this long, producing the horribly engineered crap they do. How I managed to wring 354,000+ miles out of a Dodge Grand Caravan with a Mitsubishi motor in it beats me. Those blasted Japs can't get anything right, I'm tellin' ya...

Except my XJs all start and run just fine. 8O

Must be an anomaly... :roll:

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

4. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Atlandf, in the spirit of good will to all mankind i applaud you for still being here! others have disappeared much quicker. well done! :)

You have provided continuing entertainment!

If you take a more considered position there are still folk willing to help :wink:

5. Ted

Ted Member

WAIT!! I think I finally figured out what the problem is!! Sounds to me like you've got some bad "starter fluid".... I bet you bought that Hitachi brand starter fluid - that stuff is junk, junk, junk man! You need to get some of the good stuff! Here's what you do:

1. Put down your crayons, they can wait.
    B. Go upstairs & grab a can of your mom's harispray - that stuff is flammable as hell and eats brown hard stuff for breakfast.
    6. Take a deep breath & think about puppies - it's OK man, you can do it.
    ?. Now hold a lighter in front of the can & spray it at your carbs.

If that doesn't work than nothing will.. donate the bike to jmilliken and get a bus pass.

6. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

Yup, sounds like that's all Hitachi's fault. They should've never engineered the floats with "brown hard stuff". :roll:
    If I had room in my basement for another bike I'd take that poorly engineered machine off your hands and end your misery. Then I'd PROPERLY CLEAN the carbs like it needs and ride it past your house every day just to remind you of your failure to perform basic routine maintenance of carburetors.

Funny how the Hitachi carbs on my bike work just fine...along with thousands of other people's. Seems the fault is yours this time, altlandf.

7. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

This is almost my favorite thread. I bought my 650 in 2011, and used this forum to get a roughly-running bike to good enough for a summer, then more work for another 5000 mile summer, then last spring was just routine maintenance and I hit my personal 10,000 mile mark on it 5 days ago.

The 800 mile 3 day trip through the Rockies last june was a testament to the fact that paying attention to the instructions works. My Maxim rocked the road that weekend.

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Time for another valve clearance check! I just turned 11K on my '83's resurrection; it's a good feeling isn't it?

9. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

To think that the bikes are the problem is to start with the wrong question.

I do have non running bikes but don't put the blame on them, it's the 30 years of neglect http I need to replace parts that should have before my sister was born.

Right now life is busy with a 1 year old baby, she had a seizure a few months back and that was not due to poor design.

Merry Christmas y'all

10. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

I've put 18k miles on my midnight since I got it. It's about 150 miles shy of 50k on the odometer now. Aside from adjusting valves and changing oil, I haven't had to do anything since the initial catch-up on neglected maintenance.

Bottom line is if you do half-ass work, you'll get half-ass results!

11. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

While a little strange as far as pinout, I don't see how that would be the reason for the speaker not working.

Correlation is not causation.

That doesn't say much. Could be the bike, could be you are replacing the wrong things.

Unless you had something majorly broken, that is kind of a pointless affair. If you replace one piece of 30-year old rubber with another piece of 30-year old rubber, you haven't really gained much of anything. Also, not a requirement, by any means.

Which means what? When I bought my 550 it came with two sets of carbs. Neither one was correct for the engine in the bike. The intake manifolds were rotted to crap with pieces missing. The guy couldn't figure out why his bike wouldn't run.

An oil change and a new gasket are something like $50-60. Coils are, what, $120? No idea whether you needed to replace the coils or not, but oil changes are more or less the same for any bike. So, this "plenty of money" thing is a bit debatable.

So, you have a bike that's all gunked up that is not running. Yep, definitely a deficient design, with all that dirt put in at the factory...

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I don't have brown stuff in my carbs, but they seem to run just fine without it..........

My '04 TP Crusier is still going fine and it's going to turn 275,000 mi in a few more weeks----and I know there's no funny brown stuff in the carbs.....heck, it doesn't even HAVE carbs.

dave f

13. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Hard brown stuff... Sounds like someone confused their carb rack for the phone & started talking down it lol :roll:

I do like this thread, I forgot how awful XJ's were with their frames and forks that BEND when crushed under the weight of a car! 8o What the heck sort of a design is that? :evil: :D

14. JPaganel

Is that a special "green" biodegradable model?

:lol: :twisted:

15. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

this thread is getting really entertaining.

CN

16. hogfiddles

that's what it says on the doors................

17. hogfiddles

Of course......it IS also starting to biodegrade......it's slowly starting to turn back into iron ore-----

dave

18. JPaganel

Badged by a dyslexic? :D

19. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Worst Bikes ... ever.
    I strenuously object.

I vote for the AMF Harley-Davidson.

20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I strenuously object.

I vote for the '78 Huffy.
    [​IMG]

Never could get that thing to run, no matter what I tried. The shifter didn't even work! Total junk!!!