1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Scary and overpriced

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ryancdossey, Dec 30, 2013.

1. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

For every seat there is a a$$.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Love is blind.
    A blind squirrel will find a nut.
    Fat girls find love.

to each his own.

As for me...I don't like chopped up partial bikes that look incredibly uncomfortable to ride, as well as being unsafe. But that is why I would look at the listing for about 2 seconds and then go on. But some like them and good for them. Anything is only worth what somebody will pay for it, doesn't matter what they ask.

Just my opinion....

2. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

I don't think is a matter of style and/or safety, the beauty lies on the eye of the observer. What can I say when I love this one http://vimeo.com/49920522

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

$4,200.
    Yikes.
    I don't see any evidence of hard work.
    I see, ... neglect.

Although I had a XS650 and loved it; I only got $850 for it and it was a clean, stock, dialed-in runner.

If you took a Magic Marker to an opened-up pizza box and wrote $1500 firm; you'd still have a tough time finding a buyer.

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

How much for the herniated lumbar disc, and all those pain meds??

It would be good to ride it at an event, but that makes it a Trailer Queen.

5. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

Why?

No one here says they can't do that, just that some think it's a horrible look for a classic bike. I think it's horrible for any bike, but I wouldn't stop someone from doing that. If they expect me to embrace their choice as something I'd do...not going to happen. Bikes like that look horrid, and last I checked "look" was a subjective term. Scary and Overpriced is certainly a good topic title.

I think what you are seeing from other sites is the rejection of anything not fitting within their narrow view, and I agree that we don't do that here as a group, but that doesn't mean people don't have preferences they should feel free to voice. It's a long way from saying "I don't like" to "You can't do", and in between is where things get interesting. Disagreement is normal and healthy, it's that diversity that makes the world so fun.

If people don't want opinions, we'll need to always add "Looking for only validation, no dissenting views, and I'll take hugs and teddy bears and graham crackers too" in the topic subject, and that would mess up our search function! :D

6. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Well said kilted ! i

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

For the record I don't "bash other people's rides" because of their appearance or style. I'm the resident "Safety Nazi" remember?

I try not to criticize when possible; but there are certain things (like "hardtailing" a 500lb, 130-mph motorcycle) that are at their inception dangerous and simply not a good idea. Especially when being attempted by somebody whose first bike it is.

8. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Actually no, rat LOOK is what you described, a true rat is not built to look like anything it just evolves over time through it's owner's ethos (or finances) dictating no paint/cosmetic work even after any accident or incident, never washing/polishing even when covered in mud/dust/salt etc and just give it the basic safety & mechanical longevity maintenance to keep it going safely & reliably while it gets tattier & rattier. Usually it'll be the owner's only/main/winter ride and usually will have fork gaiters to protect the legs as they won't be cleaned again, but not always. And a cargo net to carry spares under/some baler twine to make shoulder straps for wheels & other larger spares :wink: 8) My CB500's a rat bike, it even came in dark green from the factory (augmented by rash & rust from the riding school it was cast off from). Perfect. :lol:

Personally I like rat look/survival bikes, have you heard of the futurebike? http://www.ratbike.org/pages/18_futurebike.htm

This is in it's denuded guise, it originally had lots of nasty pointy spikes that weren't conducive to passing the MoT test... I also seem to remember it had either solid wheels or discs covering the spokes back in the day.

Kinda my first love... :? :lol: and then there was (is?) Erazerhead... http://www.ratbike.org/pages/87_eraserhead.rat