1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Leading Link Springer Front End...

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by prince_albert3, Jan 2, 2014.

1. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

I've really been wanting to change it up a bit! After some extensive research, via the wonderful interweb, I think I've found my future front end.

I have never ridden a springer but the look has always appealed to me. Thats where my search began. Eventualy I landed at ChopperHandbook.com where they have a very nice write-up on building a Springer front end. I was nearly set on those plans untill I came upon the interesting build site of TrikerBob!

A while back I exammed and even posted about a Leading Link front end I ran across on a Ural. Super simple layout with a look of its own. After Chopper Handbook I found TrikerBob's write-up on a Springer looking Leading Link front end, what he likes to call the Modified Springer. Esentially, he justed raised the links to the trees to similate a Springer. To me, its simple yet brilliant!

The website is relaticely primitive so you just click the link beneath the pics to see the next step. Check it out at:
    Leading Link Sringer

I'm thinking maybe even use the trees off the parts bike. Then source out some extended fork tubes and build the rest. Hopefully there will be enough orignal trail to compensate for the forward set tire. Possibly some loadable shocks like the ones on our bikes.

Lets think hypthetically for a moment! Say the trail becomes too little or even negative. Has anyone ever considered running "anti-raked trees", like raked/offset triple trees but inverted. If it works, this would help move the tire back, effectively creating more trail without tampering with the rake angle.

Maybe I'm over thinking it. Although the weather is currently horrible so thinking is all I am left with. What do you guys think? pros cons likes dislikes...

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Find someone with a springer, let him know what your plans are, and see if you can bum a ride. Better to find out if you like riding one before you do all the work involved in making one.

3. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

I wish I could do that. Not sure a stranger would go for it though...

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

5. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

TCBrothers has a springer front end for the XS650. Most likely would fit the XJ.
    People at TCU have put a DNA springer on the XS650 as well, they have a write up on it.

6. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

I did see that one Polock. Gave it some thought too. It looks like a good candidate but I'm not sure about the Mrs will be ok with spending that money and bringing home something that will require more work.

I wasnt sure about the length or stem size. I suppose that stem can be replaced and the fork length shorttened to need. I better give that one another thought... I was looking forward to building one though.

7. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

I did a quick search online to get a rough cost estimate for the raw materials to build this front end. The steel costs about $85, shipping was around $60. I imagine finding a local source would cost near the same.

On another note, any seen the most recent episode of OCC, with Pauly D? I know, some say they're not "real" builders. However, it is after all ashow about bikes so i do watch it. Any way, the bike they built for Pauly D had an interesting front end on it. It was basicly the opposite of the one above. it was built like a leading link(shocks beside tire) however the links were composed of the 4 spring setup used for springers. ie 2 springs atop a rod that connected directly to the rocker.

http://bikernetblog.com/?p=26237

I like the look. This may be a contender...

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

metal supermarkets on campells run road, 279-3600, in the same building as
    wolfpackspeed.com.
    also
    Omslaer co. steel supply, about 3108 cliff mine rd, this guy would probably be
    cheaper and might get you a cup of coffee and tell you go pick some out.

9. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

I watched the show(OCC). I think Von Dutch first made a front end like that in the 60's, they work well despite what others have to say. I though of making a front end like that and using rear shocks in place of the springs. Some girder style front ends use mono-shocks.
    Did you catch the show from the week before? The "Dragon" bike had a very interesting front end as well, but not new technology. There is nothing new under the sun, so to speak.

10. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

Thanks Tim. I'll certainly look into them when the time comes.

OnB I did catch that episode. That was an interesting build. Like most of their builds, it was certainly a showbike. A great creation but not for us riders...