1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

flow bench for bench syncing

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by FtUp, Jan 30, 2014.

1. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I see another advantage, that you verify that the "sliders" are reacting the same.

But after watching the video and seeing your neat little gadget, no offense, but you're not doing an idle sync. You'll need to install 4 "nipples" just like the intakes have, shut your throttles down to 0.015, and hook-up your choice of sync tool (mine is the 4-tube water Manometer)

Good video BTW.

2. waldo

waldo Member

Cyclenoob start with #3 carb the adjustment for it , the idle speed adjuster, effects all the rest off the carbs. You can adjust the tool to get the float exactly on one of the lines by turning the disk in the center of the tool (I think blocking off the other carbs and doing one at a time would work better)

3. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

you know I didn't even think of that. this seems to work well, so I won't be building another one.

krud kutter (phosphoric acid) I boiled the carbs super clean with it.

yes, I know this. the reason for this apparatus is to get them synced close enough to get the bike to idle and hopefully not require much readjustment if any. as well as hold them for wet setting the floats and it also allows me to test the function of the slides.

ding! ding! ding! yes that is a side benefit. if only I could pull enough air to get the slides to fully open.

I disagree completely. the uni-syn is measuring the air flow according to the idle adjustment. I could install vacuum nipples and use a different type of sync tool, but I would be accomplishing the same thing.

and lastly, thanks.

thanks waldo. I had previously run throught the procedure with flow bench 1.0, so it was already close. in the end they are all the same. and I am fully aware how to adjust the tool. I used it on Volkswagens and Datsun's for 15 years.

FU

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  4. waldo

waldo Member

NOOB I figured if you knew how to use the tool correctly you would have, my bad!!

5. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

wow! I can't believe it has been a whole year since I synced this set of carbs. I finally installed them and I am happy to say that I did not have to adjust the sync between any of the carbs. the fuel mixture, now that is another thing all together and not one I can build a cheap apparatus to measure. that being said, all I had to do was back off the idle speed screw, (the big finger wheel in the middle of the rack) and enrichen the mixture some (set at 2.5, probably out at 3-4 turns now) just tuned by ear. I will have to break out the color tune and check, but I think I got it pretty close.

edit; I should note that I did not use my yics block off tool when checking the sync. I may have to put it in and run through the sync process, just for fun.

FU

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

cool! thanks for the update

7. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Interesting alternative to the bench sync. If you didn't have to fiddle at all with the running sync settings that equals success the way it looks to me. It's good to see that your not stuck thinking that the FSM is like the Bible.
    Sorry Bible thumpers....

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

just a complicated way of doing something simple if you happen to have the flow tool sure i like gadgets.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

a whole bunch of the air flow testers on ebay for 20$

10. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I appreciate and respect your opinion.
    The above is mine regarding this topic.