1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

maxim running lean?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waxamilion, Jun 11, 2007.

1. waxamilion

waxamilion New Member

Hey everyone..think my maxim xj650 is running a bit lean...anyone know how many turns the mixture screws should be out?

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

2 1/2 to 3 turns out from full (lightly seated) seat. I'd lean toward the 3 side as a rich mixture won't be near as much a problem as too lean. Once you have it set, get it color tuned for optimal.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If you can "Stuff" the YICS Passage ... then, you can do an "Old School Tweak" ... it's pretty simple, actually.

One at a time ... "Tweak" the Pilot Mixture Screw ~~> OUT.
    I'm talking micro-tweak, here.

The Idle will IMPROVE as the Mixture Screw is Tweaked OUT.
    Then, there will be a plateau where NO further improvement occurs.
    Followed by where the Mixture becomes too RICH and the Cylinder begins to react to being adjusted too RICH.
    (Misfiring, backfiring, coughing and popping)
    When you arrive at the spot where the Cylinder begins to act-up from being too RICH ...
    Tweak the Pilot Mixture Screw back IN ... Until you have a smooth-running situation.

Do this for All four Cylinders.

Now, at this point we KNOW that the Mixture is adjusted to be "Good on the RICH Side."
    This is OK. You KNOW your adjusted RICH and NOT doing any HARM running this way.

Un-Stuff the YICS Passage and Road Test.

Cruise and put Power on.
    If the bike stumbles a little bit at the BOTTOM of the Power Curve before letting-loose and putting some good power on ...
    The Pilot Mixture is STILL TOO RICH.

You'll need to -- Microscopically Tweak the Pilot Screws IN ... like 1-Degree at a time and re-test putting the power on.

When she gets dialed-in ... as you Tweak-away the TOO RICH Condition ... suddenly you find ~~> The SWEET SPOT ... where there is just the right amount of Air-Fuel happening as you come-off Idle (Pilot) and transition into the Lower-end of the Power Band (Mains) ... without a burp or a hiccup.

This SWEET SPOT of fine-tuning is sometimes guaranteed "In Writing"

Accompanied by an array of flashing red and blue lights and a signed invitation to go and tell a Judge or Magistrate how well you have your bike running.

4. gjewison

gjewison New Member

thanks rick you answered my question on mine running lean also thanks guys i will turn mine in all the way and adjust out. I think i will still have to get the carbs synced though

5. gjewison

gjewison New Member

what you mean by 3 turns out from full do you mean when your putting them in and then 3 turns or turn them in all the way and then 3 turns back?

6. mr_ex

mr_ex Member

after yu turn them"clockwise" until they bottom...softly......then BACK them out 3 turns.

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

Thank you for the back-up Mr_ex!

8. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

Why do you think it is running lean? Where is it running lean (I guess at idle)?

3 turns out will get a running bike in most cases, but the bike is not tuned. You need to have a look with a Colourtune or a CO meter AFTER it has been synced. Then sync and mix should be checked again.

Running lean is bad and normally is indicated by the condition of your plugs and/or backfire on de-acelleration.

Rich running is bad for a motor also the mixture needs to be right, that is what the Colourtune or CO meter is for.