1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Knuckle Deep in this one...

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by knuckle.deep, Mar 17, 2014.

1. knuckle.deep

knuckle.deep New Member

8) whats up everyone.
    i purchased an 84 xj750 from some dude for 600 bones with a clear title. PO had previously hacked the wiring and bobbed "sawz all" the rear fender. I had to save it due to the fact i was loosing sleep over it.
    anyways, i build a few low budget bikes through out the year, ride the piss out of em, then move on.
    i have a 90amp craftsman welder that has laid around 10 miles of weld and a cheap 10 dollar grinder with cut offs and flappers.
    i plan to make a one off bike for under a grand. as it sits i have 600 bucks into it.
    [​IMG]

2. knuckle.deep

knuckle.deep New Member

i picked up 20 feet of 1" 120 wall DOM. spool of flux, cut off and flappers all for 50 bucks!
    fabbed up a jig cause im choppin the f*ck outta it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. knuckle.deep

knuckle.deep New Member

picked up a Big Gun exhaust system for 40 bucks. SCORE! found a seat with spring set up at a yard sale for 25 bucks. SCORE, sucks its white but so am i and we are both cheap so its gotta work. had some podz left over.
    i extended the drive shaft to compensate for the 4.5" stretch! ill get better pictures of how it turned out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    moving on to electrical... 8O

4. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Curious to see what your going to do with the mounting tang at the rear of the tank. Also, for safety issues, you might want to put a safety ring around that shaft since you eliminated the original(swingarm housing). Wouldn't want to see anyone get a shafty proctology exam. Pods are difficult with these XJ's(cv carbs and YICS passage), but can be done. Some have had better results velocity stacking the pods to cut any intake turbulence.
    Good luck with your build.

5. knuckle.deep

knuckle.deep New Member

i really dont know how/what im going to mount the tank, to. simply going to roll with it. my drive shaft extension was only cut in the center then i added a 9 inch piece of some thick 7/8'' handle bar, drilled a few matching holes and welded them up to compensate for the 4.5" stretch. its in other words sleeved. so if my welds did bust it would only spin inside one another. i even left me a 3/16" gap between the yoke and gear box. floating for days! kinda cool knowing there is a spinning drive shaft 4 inches away from my sack and me not GAF! all though you got me thinking, what if the u joint busted up front? i guess im not wearing shorts when bombin around. i intend on roasting the rear tire witch is brand new because if it'll light em up for a good while, then ill bomb it around town and feel safe about selling it!
    finished up all the electrical today minus rear break lights and got the front end all buttoned up. its running and alive! idles and wraps out to 10K fine as day. charging at 13.5!
    bads- leaks oil from pan, drips down onto exhaust and smokes like my grandpa. pet cock gasket is leaking fuel, white seat.

6. Orange-n-Black

The u-joint would be a possible problem, especially if your going to get on it hard.
    Have you checked the alternator brushes?
    Oil leak on exhaust is probably from valve cover. Make sure you get new bolt doughnut gaskets when you order the valve cover gasket.
    What jets are you using?

7. wizard

wizard Active Member

Some sort of cage over the shaft is a no brainer.

8. scruff

scruff New Member

i like it :D but i think something around the shaft is the go.good luck with the rest of it.this is what i did because i added 300mm and havent used it yet.cheers scruff

Attached Files:

9. colehole

colehole Member

Scruff, that seat setup is awesome!

10. Orange-n-Black

+1

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i ain't going to beat around the bush, i got zero faith in the drive shaft

12. Hamster

Hamster Member

Hey Scruff, let's see that whole bike.

13. scruff

scruff New Member

sorry knuckle.deep i feel like i hijacked your thread,was only showing you my idea.will post some pics of my creation in my own thread.cheers scruff

14. knuckle.deep

knuckle.deep New Member

got the bike wired up, carbs cleaned,rejetted installed, fender mounted. need rear brake set up and tail light wiring to be bombin aroun[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

Like the front fender, is it cut up stock?

The muffler looks spiffy, too

16. knuckle.deep

knuckle.deep New Member

you should hear the muffler. sounds so bad ass! 2 dollar yard sale fender. not sure what its off of. i am at 850 bucks on the bike and around 40 hours labor