1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What's Causing this?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 650XJ1980, Mar 19, 2014.

1. 650XJ1980

650XJ1980 New Member

Ok so ive finally got my bike back up and running and the headlight working. But it appears not to be over yet. Now my Taillight doesnt light up when the bike is on (only when you use the brake does it come on) and my Gauges dont light up either. If i turn my key one more turn to the last position to the right my Taillight comes on, my gauges light up, but then my motor wont run aka no ignition to it. What is causing this? im stumped!

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Straight up is "ON" (there are no positions to the right of it) then "1st click" to the left is OFF, and "2nd click" to the left is "LOCK" which should deploy the handlebar locking plunger; and then "3rd click" to the left is "PARK" which is "lock" plus it turns on the tail lamp.

In the pic below, the key is in the "off" position, obscuring the label, but you can see the "on" "lock" and "P for park" positions.

[​IMG]

3. 650XJ1980

650XJ1980 New Member

I guess i should advise that it doesnt appear that i have the original Gauge cluster on it. it appears to be from a 1976 xs400, so the ignition might be from that as well im not really sure.

4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

As always very nice explanation and pic. Also, you will need to press the key in one time prior to turning it to the lock position. And I'm sure you already know the lock and park positions only work with the handle bars turned all the way to the left or right. Hope this helps. Roc.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I didn't bother with the additional details but you are indeed correct.

If the ignition switch isn't original, I'm suspecting that there are mods in play here that we aren't privy to.

Could we get some more details on this bike? It sounds like some re-wiring may have been done; did somebody try to do a "minimal electrical system" or has the original harness been hacked?

6. 650XJ1980

650XJ1980 New Member

original harness wasnt hacked in fact i bought a used one off ebay and installed it this winter just to make sure. the only thing that is different are the gauge cluster and possibly ignition key switch. like stated before there is off position, then on is one click right, then second click right kills ignition but turns on my gauges lights and my tail running light. so no wire hacking has been done. just lighting doesnt seem to work properly