1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hi Guys.. New member in need of help with his project XJ!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ProjectManLee, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ProjectManLee

ProjectManLee New Member

Just want to start by doing the polite thing and saying hello to you all on the forum.

I've been reading quite a bit on here over the last few days so i decided it was about time i posted.

My names Lee (hence Lee in the nickname!) I live just outside London in the uk and I'm married with a daughter.

I've owned in the region of 20+ bikes over the last 15 years and i currently own a Harley Sportster 883R & my first XJ 650.

It's a 1981 model. Classed as a Seca in the states that i plan to modify into a cafe racer. I paid 150GBP for it and when i brought it nothing worked at all, it seemed to be stuck in gear and was missing a few bits.

Well it's still stuck in gear but i managed to get power running through it by replacing a load of nackered and burn't out wiring and blown fuses and i virtually had it start today a couple of times using some east start but just can't seem to keep it running. I've got a good spark on all 4 cylinders and theres petrol in the tank. I haven't touched the carbs yet, just thought id see if i could get it started as it is but any tips on this would be really good.

I've tried to attach a picture, not sure if it's worked though.

Thanks guys.

Great forum btw.

Lee. :)

Attached Files:

2. CapnRedbeard

CapnRedbeard Member

Hi lee and welcome, 1st things first,

Valve shims and CARBS need sorting out, also check pet cock is functioning properly,

Once up and running your choice on Tyre condition or replace with new rubber.

Overhaul the brakes, Haynes manuals are available on amazon and eBay which will help.

Is clutch working? Can you rock rear wheel and pull gear lever to achieve neutral?

3. fordguy101

fordguy101 Member

Cosmeticly looks very clean!! Its def. a good doner for a new project, I am sure the XJ wizards will have plenty o advice for you! Welcome! :D

4. ProjectManLee

ProjectManLee New Member

CapnRedbeard - Ive not looked at the valves or carbs yet but engine turns over freely. Nothing Seized.

Yes i took the pet c**k off earlier today and tried to run the bike with some fuel in a jar just to see if it was fuel starvation or the pet c**k not working properly but didn't make any difference. I will dismantle the pet c**k though and check it out.

Yeah i've got a Haynes.

Yes the clutch works. If i turn the back wheel with the plugs out it turns the engine over but so far I've been unable to move it into neutral or another gear stationery or by rocking the bike back and forth. Was thinking of taking the side cover off to see if theres anything jammed or stuck before i enter into splitting the cases.

fordguy101 - Thanks yeah i think it looks a tad better in the picture than it actually is, doesn't really show the mess someones made with some black paint and a paint brush for a start but it's not too bad for its age. The bikes actually 2 years older than me!

5. RATTLECANREBEL

RATTLECANREBEL Member

If the bike has been sitting for years it is not unlikely that the clutch plates are stuck together from rust and or calcium do to a lot of condensation
    I here it rains a lot in London
    First place I would start with that is to remove the clutch cover and see what the steels and friction plates look like. If in fact they are rusted together remove them and inspect them to see if there up to specs if there up to specs you can soak the friction (fiber plates) in MC specific oil 20W50 as I have been advised for these bikes and clean up your steels reinstall and see if it will shift up or down If it still will not shift and you know for a fact your clutch is fully functioning then it sounds like a bent shift fork and that ='s a lot of labor
    Hoping the very best Lee
    Robert

6. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Petcock petcock petcock !
    Sorry, it struck me as funny that it edits only part of that word. I guess only when the two words separate. Pet cock.
    Nice looking bike, I never realized how much they look like the RD400LC. I guess they had a bunch of spare bodykits laying around when the two strokes went out of fashion.
    Good luck getting it running. I am still elbows deep in my engine cases right now but I'm climbing out.

7. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Re: Hi Guys.. New member in need of help with his project XJ

Hi Lee

Well done. My '84 550 cost 125 GBP but came as a self-assembly kit in 5 boxes. At least yours is altogether ! Also unlike you I am rather older than mine.
    Gearboxes unfortunately ain't my thing but I'm pretty sure you'll get all the help you need here.

I'm up the road about 50 miles in Bedford. Maybe one day there might be scope for a UK XJ 80s vintage meet..

Good luck

James

8. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

9. HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze Member

Lee,

1. Check the interior of the gas tank and make sure it is not rusted to bad. At least put an in-line fuel filter from the tank to the carbs. Hate to see you put a bunch of time in cleaning the carbs and then pump rusted fuel into them.
    2. Check your brakes. You might have to look into new brake lines. See what shape the calipers are in and the rear brake shoes. Look at the master cylinder.
    3. Go through the electrical system. Check the fuse system.
    4. Check to see if the valves are in spec.

Good luck.

10. Joedanbeck

Joedanbeck New Member

I would highly recommend pulling the rear wheel off and cleaning the brake shoe roller with some brake cleaner and steel wool. Mine was sitting for 6 months and it locked up on me the first ride. Better to know where things sit before they surprise you.

11. rmcrow

rmcrow Member

There are a ton of things that can be wring with a bike this old. You say you have experience so you might nwant to do a forum search for a thread that is titled new bike checklist. It has a list of the how tos for every step for a restoration from sitting in the rain For 30 years to road ready. You will be able to find all the information you need there and all your parts for on xj4ever in the top right corner of his page. Congrats and all! The info

12. CapnRedbeard

CapnRedbeard Member

Lee, always plenty of advice on this site. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

Like a100man i'm a little older than my xj as well!

Plenty of people to testify to the fun to be had with these bikes.

Martyn

13. ProjectManLee

ProjectManLee New Member

Thanks for all the info guys. Some really good stuff there. Ill keep you updated with my progress.

Cheers.

Lee.