1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help me Put a value on this bike. Please!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by vesparider, Apr 3, 2014.

1. vesparider

vesparider Member

Here's the deal. I Built this recently and I keep getting offers from people interested in buying it. I know what I have in it and know what it took to build it. However, most interested parties don't.Maybe I see more value in it than someone else just looking for a motorcycle. I realize the majority of bikes like this one never get whats in it. I'm interested in what other XJ enthusiasts think it might be worth.

1981 Maxim 650
    1983 Seca Turbo Driveline 19k miles
    Runs Rides and Performs as it should. 16psi Boost
    Lots of odds and ends from other bikes.
    Everything is powdercoated (except sidecovers)
    GPS Speedometer and Navigation

Won its Class at Indoor Bike Show last month
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just throw some numbers out would be great what you might think its worth.

2. rmcrow

rmcrow Member

$1.00 per cc is actually what QN enthusiast will pay. A collector what they can spare. I would give you about $1200 but I have to plan where every penny goes each month. And I would I only pay that after a testride and complete inspection that assures me there is absolutely nothing needed but regular maiteanence and hard riding.
    If you are wanting to sell with a reasonable quick but fair price, ask chacal, rickomatic, Pollock, or any xjwizard, or a newbie in your area.
    You have a bikje that is either for an enthusiast or a poor person willing to work on their bike.

The real question if you can wait for high dollar or want too quickly realize some cash.

3. rmcrow

rmcrow Member

On myyt phone I am sorry about the bad grammer and the autocorrect spelling on my last post.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a couple simple yes/no questions:

Does the 19K miles "Seca Turbo driveline" include the turbo motor too?

Did you check/adjust the valve clearances?

Is that the original front brake line?

5. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Personally I would never buy a turbo-ed bike unless it had a fully documented build. I would be more inclined to consider it if it had been a straight Seca Turbo engine swap. I am sure you put a lot of love and attention to detail into it, but no one pays for that because a lot of love and attention to detail could be only skin deep and hide a lot of mechanical flaws. Plus a mismatched paint job of gloss on the side cover and what looks like flat or maybe even bed liner on the tank screams PROBLEM CHILD at me.
    I think you'd be doing well to get $2200-2500. A correct restoration would probably get you more.

6. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

NIce seat, is that a COrbin? DId you have to fab/mod brackets to fit it?

7. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

From his first threadhe used the whole intake/engine/exhaust from a Seca Turbo. The only part he didn't use was the actual filter box (but he used the surge tank). Wiring harness (so I'm assuming knock sensor) from the Turbo too.

I'm assuming you also used the petcock from the Turbo, and maybe the fuel pump? However, if you're running 16 psi of boost and the stock fuel pump, you might just starve your engine as the pump is rated at an output pressure of 14psi. However, it looks like you've got the power up kit on there and not a manual boost controller.

I see it sometimes on mine where the boost on my aftermarket gauge whips past 12 psi with the power up kit (at the airbox) when I really get on it and don't load the engine enough. However, I've never sustained that kind of boost.

I personally think its really cool. There lots of talk of people building "sleeper" maxims like this, but they usually give up unless they actually have the whole Turbo Seca. I doubt the market is such that anyone will really appreciate it, especially since the turbo is hidden away and not out for everyone to see. I'd enjoy it and hold out for that one buyer who had a maxim, maybe always though about doing this kind of mod themselves back in the day.

Obviously if all of the maintenance (like valves) have been done, I'd hope for more than $2000. It looks really nice and is unique. But I doubt that's close to what you've got in it. I know that my Turbo wouldn't fetch that kind of money, and with 7500 miles on the clock, I fully expect to ride it and get some of the value out of it, before I'd consider selling it.

8. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

And therein lies the problem. It's a very unique taste, and while we all appreciate what was done and the effort and time it took to do it, not many would see a value in it more than maybe $1,000.

It's just a very unique bike that would take the right buyer to get any kind of value out of it.

You can take a look at my build thread and see all the time and money put into my 650R, and then be offended when I had more than one person offer me $300 because it needed "so much work done".

9. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

Most of us who have recommissioned an XJ could only dream of getting out of it anything close to what we put into it. Look at everything that goes into it including parts, labor, time, blood, sweat, and tears, and sometimes even our heart and soul. Try putting a value to all that...It's priceless if you ask me!

I know I'll never get back what I'm putting into mine...that's why I'm doing it just for the pleasure of riding them. My bikes are probably worth more to me than anyone else anyway.

10. vesparider

vesparider Member

Ill try to answer some questions.

Engine: 1983 Seca Turbo. Valve Clearances Check and New Rings installed.

Fuel Pump: Bosch Unit from a Fuel Injected Guzzi that been regulated to 20psi output.

Fuel Petcock: from Turbo Seca.

Turbocharger: Rebuilt TD03 Yamaha

Wiring Harness: Turbo Seca. Disected and removed Warning center and excess. Has Turbo Electronics, Ignition and Knock Sensors

Transmission: Required a new 2nd gear and was replaced along with a new clutch.

Brake Line: From the Seca Turbo

Seat: Stock Harley Sportster. No real Modification necessary.

Side Covers: Suzuki GS1000

Tank/Fenders Powder Coated Black wrinkle. Frame Semi Gloss Powder Coated. Controls Gloss Black Powder Coated, Wheels, Surge tank and a few Misc items Powder Coated Silver Vein.

Nothing hidden here. The Side Covers are a semi gloss Lacquer paint.

11. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Keep it and love it. That's the best price you'll get.

12. vesparider

vesparider Member

Very Nice project. The Last "R" Bike I restored/built. (Not an XJ) I can actually put a price on it. Sold at AMA Vintage for $7800 3 years ago.
    [​IMG]

Real Money I have in the Maxim Turbo is about $1100 US including the price of both parts bikes. I guess what really has me thinking is all the hack jobs on Craigslist bringing the money or at least having the asking prices of almost $2500. Ive been riding the bike locally and keep getting asked about selling. In actuality the bike is my sons and When he turns 16 next month he can have and enjoy it. I guess all the interest Ive gotten to sell just made me curious.

13. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Now that is a sweet ride.

Most of the CL ads that are asking $2000+ are people that don't know what they have, or much about the bikes they ride/own/try to flip. Most of the bikes on these ads are junk and if they do sell for that price they sell to someone who is buying their first bike, then they find us and we politely tell them they got hosed.

14. SHOOTER

SHOOTER Member

well i like your bike. its something i would buy and maybe just change a few little things and ride, but as far as price from just seeing these pics and not really riding it or anything i would say maybe around $1500. its really hard to say without really inspecting it and knowing what all was done. so dont get offended by that estimate. like i said i do like it but it all just depends on the person buying it too, but all in all it is worth more than a couple hundred bucks definitely. i would say if everything is right and you found a buyer that really liked it you might get closer to $2000. goodluck with everything. hope that helps you any. by the way sounds like you have alot of work in it and prolly alot of money in parts. most people just dont appreciate the work that goes into something like that.

15. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Um, wait, you're giving it to your son? When he turns 16? I mean, I learned to ride when I was 17, on my dad's 20 year old FXE, but you've got a Turbo Seca there. People have crashed that bike because when you whack open the throttle, the bike smoothly pulls away until the turbo kicks in, and then it launches. People don't expect it and lose control, especially if they are grabbing a fist full of throttle and can't let go after they get thrown back.

Are you sure you don't want to give a 16 y/o kid something with a power band that is a little more linear to start out on? I mean I know it's not the fastest bike in the world, or the most dangerous, but there is something "not normal" about a turbo, especially one that is so docile at low speeds.

And maybe get a little more braking power with a dual disk front end for getting it under control after it's launched?

I still think it's cool and well done (given your other threads), and if you aren't in a hurry to sell, I'm sure you can find an appreciative buyer. I think most of us on the forum think of all of these bikes as project bikes, since most of them are, and we would never pay top dollar for an XJ because we don't trust POs and would rather do the work ourselves. That devalues "mint" bikes in our eyes, since so many aren't actually mint. But that doesn't mean that your bike doesn't deserve top dollar.

16. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Meaning it's 31 years old? 8O

17. vesparider

vesparider Member

I have a bunch of NOS Parts new in Plastic packaging.

My 82XJ650J Came with lots of new stuff in packaging.
    [​IMG]

18. vesparider

vesparider Member

Don't tell the Law, but hes been riding my 82 Seca Turbo for a couple years now. he's taller than me and with a helmet on you'd never know his age. very good and disciplined rider. I got my license when I was 14 and feel that riding along with Dad is better experience than reading a book or a weekend in a parking lot.

19. vesparider

vesparider Member

This stuff gets addictive. Last several bikes have been Yamaha. Picked up this murdered out 87 Venture to ride. Goes nicely with the XJ. Lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Lilbigmess

Lilbigmess New Member

How did I do the seat / rear fender? That is exactly what is want with my bike. This is incredible.