1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Lake Michigan trip suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Joedanbeck, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Joedanbeck

Joedanbeck New Member

Some friends and i are planning on riding our bikes around lake Michigan and taking a ferry across between Manatowic and Luddington. Any of you guys from or familiar with this area and if so any thing i should check out?

Pics are the tentative route.

Attached Files:

2. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

3. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Govenor Dodge State Park, just north of 151 and 23. Great hiking trails and decent fishing.

If you stop there then you REALLY should roll up 23 to The House On The Rock - your life will never be the same. However it would consume at least 8 hours of perusing to get through it. Spend an overnight at the Park and tour the House if time allows. . .

If you really have a truck load of time, riding up the peninsula (Door County) to Washington Island is rather pleasant.

4. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

On the portion of your route from the Mackinaw Bridge to Luddington I'd stay along Lake Michigan. Some great scenery in the Petoskey/Traverse City area. If you've got time to burn you might even ride North from Traverse City on 37 onto the peninsula between West and East bay - wine country with nice views over the water.

If you need to over night in the Traverse City area I suggest the Kingsley Motel in Kingsley, about 10 miles South of Traverse City. 1st rate little motel and cost you half of staying in town.

5. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

If you're planning on camping out...Might I suggest Kohler-Andrea State Park...Right on Lake Michigan...very nice! A lot of cool stuff to do in Kohler WI too.

6. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

+1 on Kohler - the Art Museum there is cool.

7. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Definitely take 31 South from the bridge, 72 across to 22 after you hit the peninsula on 37 :D Pick up 31 south again just north of Manistee. Some beautiful country up there!

8. SGuth

SGuth New Member

Look up the Kettle Moraine Scenic Trail... It's a glacial formation that runs from West of Milwaukee all the way up towards Green Bay though the best parts are just south of Sheboygan- Plymouth area. They're are about the twistiest and hilliest roads you'll find for a long way. You can see the narrow band of trees running north south on your map- that's the Kettle Moraine forest.

Also look up the Niagara Escarpment... You'll end up crossing this a couple times depending on you you come. It is the outer edge of what used to be a shallow sea but was carved up by the glaciers. Coming east on 23 you'll climb a pretty good hill leaving Fond Du Lac and decend an equal hill just before Plymouth. That huge ridge you cross is the escarpment and it runs from this area all the way to Niagara Falls (1000miles away).

Depending on when you and your friends want to do this trip you may be able to squeeze in watching some bike races at Road America in Elkhart Lake (located in the Kettles on the escarpment).

The Kohler Art Museaum is free... And located in downtown Sheboygan.

The is a Lake Michigan circle tour with posted signs that would allow you to drive all the way around going through much of the scenic back roads and areas along the lake. I've never done it but have grown up in the Sheboygan area and I'm familiar with the local roads that are part of the journey. It would be a beautiful bike trip- at least the northern half and then a Ferry ride back across to Manitowoc.

If you have any questions about the area just ask. This area has a ton of people on bikes during warm months and is very friendly to ride in.

9. SGuth

SGuth New Member

Look up the Kettle Moraine Scenic Trail... It's a glacial formation that runs from West of Milwaukee all the way up towards Green Bay though the best parts are just south of Sheboygan- Plymouth area. They're are about the twistiest and hilliest roads you'll find for a long way. You can see the narrow band of trees running north south on your map- that's the Kettle Moraine forest.

Also look up the Niagara Escarpment... You'll end up crossing this a couple times depending on you you come. It is the outer edge of what used to be a shallow sea but was carved up by the glaciers. Coming east on 23 you'll climb a pretty good hill leaving Fond Du Lac and decend an equal hill just before Plymouth. That huge ridge you cross is the escarpment and it runs from this area all the way to Niagara Falls (1000miles away).

Depending on when you and your friends want to do this trip you may be able to squeeze in watching some bike races at Road America in Elkhart Lake (located in the Kettles on the escarpment).

The Kohler Art Museaum is free... And located in downtown Sheboygan.

The is a Lake Michigan circle tour with posted signs that would allow you to drive all the way around going through much of the scenic back roads and areas along the lake. I've never done it but have grown up in the Sheboygan area and I'm familiar with the local roads that are part of the journey. It would be a beautiful bike trip- at least the northern half and then a Ferry ride back across to Manitowoc.

If you have any questions about the area just ask. This area has a ton of people on bikes during warm months and is very friendly to ride in.

10. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Point beach state park, a run up the peninsula is always great, washington island, peninsula state park, check out Krohn cheese, the apostle island nat'l lakeshore is always pleasant as well.

If you need anything on the trip and are in central wisconsin, I'm in Stevens Point if you were to need anything that I could help you with.

11. mtnbikecrazy55

Do you have a map of the roads you're planning to take?

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have to agree; much more scenic to come down the coastline, lots more to see.

13. pjk_xj700

pjk_xj700 Member

Do NOT miss M119. It heads south from mackinaw down to harbor springs. You have to drive through some small roads to get to it, but it is the most gorgeous piece of road. It overlooks lake michigan for most of its length, and drops you down into harbor springs, which is a very pretty town on the north side of little traverse bay. Then, as mentioned, M22 is another 'must-see' road, but alas, I have not been on that one yet.

For sight-seeing, spend a few minutes climbing up castle rock. Huge rock jutting out towards lake huron on east side of st ignace. Very cool views, as you are like 200ft up. Don't waste your time on mystery spot or the wax museum. ugh. Also, spend a half hour walking down underneath cut river bridge west of st ignace. Very cool bridge and walking trails down to the river / lake.

Looking again at your map, you may want to add a little driving to go through H58 between munising and grand marais. That 40m stretch of road has been re-done, and is wide and curvy. My son and I ran through there last fall and it was divine! Definitely a must ride if you are in the area on a riding trip. Where M119 is VERY tight and twisty, H58 is open and flowing. We were cruising through the curves at 60-65 and loving it.

I'll post some pix of both.

14. pjk_xj700

pjk_xj700 Member

First five are heading north from harbor springs on M119.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next two are driving on H58.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mtnbikecrazy55

fun pics! looks like a place that I'll have to check out myself ;)