1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 XJ900 Project has begun!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by DMcCluney, Mar 31, 2014.

1. DMcCluney

DMcCluney New Member

Just so everyone knows, I started this project a little over a week ago, so I started documenting my adventure and now I'm a member so I'll post it here so people can follow along if they so desire!

Hey Guys, Thank you for stopping by! I came across a new toy and so I am starting a new project, an awesome Yamaha XJ900 (Seca 900). She has been sitting in a climate controlled storage building for 11 years, license plate says Oct 2003! and the odometer reads just a little over 5k miles! So of course the "Glass Half Full" side of me wants to remain positive. The petcock valve was turned off but the gas tank was pretty much full. But here is the agenda to get worked out.

1. The throttle is completely stuck, I tried to wiggle (please ignore my lack of mechanical terminology!) the spring thing on the (butterfly?) valves on the carbs that connects to the throttle cable and they won't budge, I'm sure it's all varnished up, but that's to be expected.

2. Appears to have been dropped on the right side, (the right brake handle is broken, and the front brake has no pressure)also the cover plate that says "Yamaha YICS" is broken off slightly, will need to find a replacement. The turn signal light is busted, and there is some scratching on the fairing and side panels. But all repairable/replaceable!

Now for the nasty stuff... electrical!

3. Battery was missing! Now how did this happen? Oh well, $85 later got a new pre charged battery with acid already in and a promise from the parts store saying "drop this battery in and she'll start right up!". Well, you can't trust everything you hear and that brings us to #4.

4. Battery in, keys in ignition, kick stand up, bike in neutral (neutral light is on!) clutch held for good measure, kill switch on, (power is flowing! head light on!), press the ignition button and! ... nothing... No clicks, no pops, no groans, no whines... nothing! And this is where I am now, I believe that the problem may lie in the starter solenoid, and I read on here late last night that a good way to test this is to bridge the connections on the solenoid and see if the starter turns, or to take the hot lead from the battery and connect it straight to the starter and see what it does, this is what I plan on doing tonight.

We tested all of the fuses and they were all within their resistance range. Tested the kickstand sensor and it was within its range so I don't think it's any of that, everything just keeps pointing back to starter solenoid and starter motor...

My co-worker seems to be afraid that maybe the motor is locked up, which may be the case because even when it's in neutral and/or the clutch is held in, the bike will not roll forward or back. The back wheel is completely locked up, possibly brakes? But I feel doubtful.

I will update with my progress tonight!

I've attached some photos of the bike, let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

2. DMcCluney

DMcCluney New Member

So! Good news! A freshly charged battery makes all the difference. Plopped it in there, wired everything back up and she turned over! I did not try to get it to start all the way since I am sure the oil is complete sludge and the carbs are completely stuck. Onward to the next step of the project, time to get those carbs off!

First I had to remove the (1) bolt holding the gas tank on and disconnect the hoses to the petcock valve (this was much more difficult than it needed to be). But I got it all off and "safely" disposed of the 11 year old fuel and cleaned up the tank while it was off. Half way there! Removed the several bolts that held the air box in place and the battery box and scooted them back a few inches to reveal the carburetors. Victory within reach! I was able to disconnect the choke cable easily enough but when I got to the throttle cable... oh boy... that thing would not move. I twisted the throttle and it turned the entire assembly (not good!) After 2 hours on one day and another hour the next I got them off.

Man were these nasty! But over two days I disassembled each carburetor and cleaned them, got the rust and the sludge cleaned off, made sure the jets were clean soaked every piece of metal with carb cleaner and made sure everything that was supposed to move, would do so. I can't stand how the two outer carbs are chromed up and shiny but the inner two are dull and boring. I tried buffing them out with a wire wheel but they just wouldn't shine up... Another project for another day...

Time to reinstall them and replace the spark plugs (though they only have a few thousand miles on them, I'm sure it couldn't hurt to have them replaced. Once I get that completed tonight I plan on doing an oil change and then seeing if I can get it to start. Depending on how that goes will determine what I do next. If she starts up I plan to move to the brakes, because... lets be honest here, though she may be a beautiful machine, i'd rather not spend my last moments hurtling 75mph down I540 with her... But if she doesn't start, then I'll be taking a closer look at the engine and see what's going on there. I can't see why the engine wouldn't run as good as it "supposedly" ran when it was parked 11 years ago. But who knows, something could be fouled up inside.

Also a side note, I was able to get the bike to go in to neutral and now she rolls... kind of, still pretty tough and it takes some muscle to get it to move, but it is progress, we'll see how this improves over time. Maybe the oil in the shaft drive? Not sure, that's all new to me so we'll see.

Attached Files:

3. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Don't discount the possibility that the brakes are causing the rear wheel to drag or bind, on my 85 XJ700 the rear arm was sticking causing it to be a royal pain to push.

4. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

First thing you should do is get a can of kroil and hit every damn bolt you can find! I learned the hard way.

Might as well drain the rear diff just to see what the oil looks like. Its easiest on the side stand.

Get the old oil out of the motor, too-It would be good to know if there was water in it. Maybe the clutch pack is all stuck together, too. Does it move more easily when the clutch is held in?

Hank is right, though. Probably brakes or maybe wheel bearings.

Good looking bike, man. I'd be super excited!

5. RonWagner

RonWagner Member

That is a nice bike, take your time and don't take any shortcuts and you will have a bike that will be as reliable as a new one. I bought anXJ650 with around 5500 miles. It had been stored for years and had the carb issues like yours plus some corrosion. I still have a little engine painting to do but it is like having a new bike.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It really is. I've put over 11K on my recommissioned Seca with none other than the factory-recommended scheduled maintenance.

7. DMcCluney

DMcCluney New Member

Well I'm afraid I didn't get much done last night, too much going on for hobbies these days! I'll just do a quick run through on what I got done and what issues I ran in to.

First off, thank you for the advice! I'll check out the rear brakes and make sure nothing is sticking. I haven't found any rust on the bike other than a smidge on the exhaust pipes; luckily, but that doesn't mean that the caliper pistons could be rusted or stuck. I checked the oil level of the final drive and it's full and definitely had the right color for gear oil (didn't appear to have any discoloration, but not sure if that matters in this situation). But I'll order some in the near future to get that resolved. I have a manual from the Yamaha dealership here in town that covers every bloody thing on this bike, so once I get some of the obvious things out of the way I will work my way through its recommended maintenance program.

What did I actually get done last night? Two things, over several hours... got the petcock valve on the gas tank disassembled and cleaned and put back together. Fuel flows now! No leaks! Yay! ... ehem... simple joys of life I suppose. Now on to the oil change, some PB Blaster got that 31 year old drain plug loose, I'm willing to bet that the drain plug had never been removed, at only 5k miles, and the previous owner (family) confirming that they never changed the oil while they had it, that took some muscle and some cussin to get off. Success at last; however, I was able to get the plug off and get that nasty sludgy gross slop out, how about we change the oil filter now? ... boy Yamaha... thanks for making it so darn easy to get to that oil filter off... Sure, when I read in my manual that to remove the oil filter cap I must remove exhaust pipe #2 I thought to myself... yeah right, I know I can get it out if I just get my hands in there just right and... yeah uh, nope. Off comes exhaust pipe #2. Got the new filter in there the right way (I think... manual doesn't mention anything about which way the filter goes in and of course I didn't see how the old one was because I was too stubborn to take off the exhaust pipe before I tried to remove the filter.) and put it all back together. I put in 20w50 Quicksilver brand oil for now, we're averaging in the 70's so I felt this would be a good weight and it's cheap at Wal-Mart. Once I run it a few hundred miles I plan on putting some higher quality stuff in there, but for now, cheap is where it is.

And that's about it! Had to get cleaned up and grill a couple of steaks before the sun went down, so had to call it an early night. I'll be going on a business trip here in the next few days and I'll be gone for a week so the Seca will be sitting all alone for about 9 days, but I think she'll be alright.
    I know this isn't the most interesting build story but I wanted to share my amateur adventure to this restoration project and I most definitely wanted to hear the communities opinion as the project goes on. For now I'm planning on going back to a full stock look. This may change, but I have to say that Yamaha designed a good lookin' bike and I don't want to make her in to something she's not. But that's just me, maybe I'm just lazy!

8. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

NOw that's weird, I own a '83 Seca900 equipped with a 4-in-1 exhaust system and I didn't have to remove anything to change my oil filter. I was tight, but it came out easily.

Keep sharing, we are a few Seca 900 owners here! I hope to get mine definitely road-worthy this year.

9. pmjydnl

pmjydnl Member

There you have made the first mistake. Such assumptions is not acceptable.We all start somewhere and we all have a different story to tell. We all share the love for the same bike and no matter how little our knowledge or how little we do.......it is always interesting to see what others are doing. In that way we all get to learn from each other.....and it costs absolutely nothing.
    Don't underestimate yourself. keep at it and don't forget lots of pics are always good. Takewhatever advice you get fromhere and move ahead. You will surprise yourself ...and be much better for the experience.

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

McCluney....Please PM me----- I run the xj900rk Seca Database for USA-Delivered 900rk's.

I'd like to get your bike registered on it, and there is absolutely no cost to you.

Thanks,

Dave Fox

11. DMcCluney

DMcCluney New Member

My bike has a 4 to 2 exhaust and the oil filter cap is right smack dab between exhaust pipes #2 and #3 and there just isn't quite enough room to get it out without removing one of the pipes. When I'm over at the shop next I'll get some pictures.
    I will be back with more updates and photos as the project continues but for the next several days I'll be in Texas for business.

In response to quebecois59, you're right I shouldn't have said that. Just since this is a resto-stock build I'm going for, I wasn't sure if it was going to appeal to the modders and the choppers! But if not for anything else, at least I'll have my journey documented for my personal enjoyment!
    Thanks guys! So far a very supportive environment to be a part of!

12. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

I've go 2, 4 into 2 and a 4 into 1 and can change the filter on one of the 4 into 2's without issue.The other 2 I loosen the all the pipes at the head just so I can get a little movement,just enough to wriggle the housing out.
    Irritates the hell out of me,some brands were well designed some not.

13. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Exactly, well said that man! I always enjoy reading about the 900's especially, they're my bike's American market Cousin after all :lol:

On the oil filter, I'm sure one end has an "indentation" for the spring & washer to sit in? Worth double checking before start-up anyway, I don't have my Haynes 900 manual to hand right now but I'll have a look for it shortly & see if it has a picture. (or Dave, Quebecois or one of the Aussie boys will know how it fits off the top of their head lol)

14. dominicapavlova

dominicapavlova New Member

Fantastic detailed blog. Thanks for sharing. I have an XJ900f 58L with absolutely no brakes whatsoever..... no pressure fron tor back. Bleed them or replace piston seals etc with overhaul...? what do you reckon? Also, I am having trouble finding a collector box to reinstate the 4 into 2 system, as silencers and downpipes are good.... well... pipes are new ones from breakers, as oem ones were scrap only as was collector box. I have seen Wemoto do a Marving box for £107. What do you reckon.... My left had carb bowl is dripping too.... When will it ever cease? That aside.... your lokks great. Mine will get there EVENTUALLY.

15. DMcCluney

DMcCluney New Member

Holy post revival batman!

So the bike ran great all last season, finally have some 60 degree weather so It's time to start all over again. Got her started, ran to the gas station filled her up, came back took a picture and now she wont start?
    I press the starter button and she attempts to turn over, maybe 1 - 1 1/2 turns and stops. After a few attempts smoke begins to billow out of the red terminal wire on the battery. Once they cooled, I disconnected the wires and checked for loose connections. Tightened a few and put it all back together and tried again. Same thing, 1 - 2 turns and silence with each push of the button. I do hear a squeak coming from the starter area? In time with the turns of the engine, she has fresh oil and I checked the plugs and they're not fouled... so it should be getting fully lubricated? Eventually smoke comes out of the battery terminal area. I can see the insulation around the wire is turning black on the positive wire so there is definitely some arcing or resistance causing heat... but what could be causing that?

I also noticed that the clock no longer works? Now it just shows gibberish, not the actual time? Related? Not related? Not sure...
    Any advice would be awesome!

Btw, here's a pic, that glorious beast.

Attached Files:

• bike.jpg
      bike.jpg
      File size:
      161.2 KB
      Views:
  16. hogfiddles

Flat battery. Not enough juice to turn it, so the electric sits there and cooks. If you test your battery and it IS good, then if check the starter, the lead to to the starter, the solenoid, the lead to the solenoid..... And check your ground lead and ground strap. It is possible for a wire to go green inside where you can't see it. Look and feel for a bulge---- that would increase resistance a lot and cook a wire.

Your bike is looking good! Now you need to find the silver and black C stripes for the tank, and the silver and black strips for the cowl!
    image.jpg

Like this:)

Dave Fox

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  17. DMcCluney

DMcCluney New Member

Awesome advice, I'll go through those wires and check for resistance.

18. hogfiddles

Lucas Electric theory --- the smoke is what makes things work. If the smoke gets out, things stop working. Case in point, the smoke is leaking out of your battery terminal areas and some of your wires.

jmilliken and FtUp like this.
  19. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

And there it is, a Lucas electrics joke on a Japanese UJM forum. The internet never fails to deliver. Now someone find the post about the dwarves that live inside your carbs.

20. hogfiddles

I know a little about a lot of things....