1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

lost power on highway

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sean_mik, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Sean_mik

Sean_mik New Member

Riding along on the xj650 I bought a couple weeks ago and all of a sudden I lose all power and the bike just dies. So I pull over and try to start it again but it's like the throttle has a mind of it's own as I'm trying to get it back home. Goes for maybe a mile then dies again. I'm sitting here now letting it cool down gonna try to start her again in a few minutes and get her home. Any ideas?

2. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

I had a cheap inline fuel filter in mine one time, could ride it for a while then it would die. Sit for a while start it up and go, then it would die again. Was on my way to the Port Dover Rally and it died again and noticed that the filter was almost dry, took it off, threw it into a farmers field and it was fine.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You've had the bike for a few weeks. Have you done anything to be sur it's in good working order? Are the valves in spec? Have the carbs been cleaned? Have you checked the coils and plug wires for cracks and serviceability? What I'm getting at is you need to be sure that the runner you bought really is in riding condition, otherwise any advice will be a WAG on our part.

4. Sean_mik

Sean_mik New Member

When I hit the ignition I get the red oil level light

5. Sean_mik

Sean_mik New Member

Well the guy I bought it from said he just went through the carbs. I changed the oil with 20w-50 replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the air filter

6. Sean_mik

Sean_mik New Member

The guy I bought it from lived an hour and a half away and we drove it back no problem

7. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Not enough info at this point... did it immediately shut off without warning, or was it acting funky first.

Just some WAG's at this point....I would check fuse box, electrical cinnections, battery, charging system, fuel delivery, safety circuits, and carbs.

By "loss of power" im assuming engine power which would tip me toward carbs and/or fuel delivery.

Dont take the po's word.... it dont mean poop....

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Out of spec valves will cause loss of power as well.

9. Sean_mik

Sean_mik New Member

Sorry I wasn't very clear I was still on the side of the road when I wrote those first few posts haha. So I was driving on the highway for probably 20 minutes when the rpms started to drop and the bike eventually died so I pulled over and it started back up and it was acting like the throttle was stuck but it wasn't physically stuck it was just revved up and I got maybe a mile down the road then it slowly lost power and died again then it wouldn't start and I sat there for 30 minutes or so thinking maybe it was overheated and I pulled the plugs and readjusted the gaps and it eventually did start again and it ran for 3-5 min or so and then I sat on it and it died. So after an hour I called my wife to come pick me up and there sits Lucille camouflaged in a bush on highway 6. Any ideas? It's like she's not getting fuel. And before anyone asks no its not out of gas

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

it's out of gas, not the tank, the engine. did you try putting it on prime?

11. Sean_mik

Sean_mik New Member

Yes I switched it over to prime and tried to start it. I'm new to this so just to be sure do I need to leave it on prime for awhile or just switch it there long enough to start it

12. joshs700n

joshs700n Member

similar things haooened all the time on my xj700 the problem was i had a rusty tank I took my carbs off atleast 5 times

13. Hamster

Hamster Member

A shot in the dark here. Is your gas cap breather plugged? Next time it quits, open the gas cap. See if gas suddenly starts flowing. Having an in-line fuel filter helps to see if fuel is flowing. Helps a lot of things. Good luck.

14. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

As mentioned earlier....check fuse box, safety switches and battery connection. By all of a sudden I'm assuming you mean like somebody just cut the power.

15. Sean_mik

Sean_mik New Member

Gas cap breathers not plugged that was one thing I checked right away, the tank is a little rusty inside, I didn't lose electrical power I lost engine power. Wondering what to make of that rpms just being revved up after I Got it turned back on briefly. It's definitely an issue with fuel delivery

16. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

THIS generally indicates the "safety system" is deployed; probably a problem with the sidestand switch making the bike think the stand is down.

However, a complete loss of "oomph" even though the bike still runs points to valves in serious need of adjusting and/or carb problems.

You can't just jump on a 30-year old bike and start riding it; all sorts of things will begin to malfunction.

How many miles on the bike?

17. Sean_mik

Sean_mik New Member

Ok so just an update she ONLY runs on prime. I was able to get her home. I'm sure I can find a thread about that somewhere on here thanks for the help guys! I appreciate y'all bein patient with me being a newb and all too, I'm tryin not to ask too many dumb questions haha

18. Sean_mik

Sean_mik New Member

There's 6500 mi on it Fitz. And the previous owner was riding it. Not like it just sat in a barn for 30 years and like I said I did a little tune up and he told me he just had the carbs gone through. Apparently not enough tune up tho or maybe he lied about the carbs or something so anyway I'm taking her to my mechanic and I'm gonna have him go over it top to bottom. Hindsights 20/20 lesson learned

19. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Now it only runs on prime? Have you checked the vacuum line from the tap to the inlet stub to make sure it's attached & not holed?

To be honest, no matter what the p/o said its worth opening the carbs if only to confirm they really are clean & to wet-set the floats. the revving symptom suggests to me that there's something not right carb-wise (air leaks?) Also please take a look at the links in my sig for new owners, regarding your brakes & tyres. And heed Fitz's advice on valves too as they've probably never been done & about 3500mi overdue. Cheers, & welcome :)

20. Sean_mik

Sean_mik New Member

Hey thanks a lot bub those links are very helpful and frankly a little scary. I'm all about being safe on the bike. I am having some trouble finding a thread about only running on prime though so if anyone has encountered this issue please let me know about it. Thanks again bloke