1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj with subside shift images please.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dean.james, Apr 9, 2014.

1. dean.james

dean.james New Member

Dose anyone know if some one has put a subside shifter on an xj550 I am just doing my first bike and am thinking of putting one on but can not find one on the net that is on the right side of bike they are all on left can it be done

2. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Dumb question: what is a subside shifter? Never heard of it.

3. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

"Suicide" shifter? Maybe? You know that autocorrect can really mangle words.

If that is what the OP is thinking -suicide shifter, I would say unless there is a medical reason (ie. amputation) for not using a regular shifter - do not do it.

If you are doing because it 'looks cool' duct tape a 1 1/8" box end wrench to the side of your tank. Then read gunbunny's recent post on looking cool vs. safety in this thread Be the Bunny - in fact read the whole thread . . .

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You won't find them on the right because since 1975 all bikes have left-side shifters.

If this is your first bike, this is a very bad idea. (It's not a good idea anyway.) Learn to ride a modern, properly equipped and configured bike first; there are good reasons that things like foot clutch/hand shift aren't used on today's bikes.

5. Gunbunny

Gunbunny Member

This all day long.

I guarantee that if this is your first bike & you try to run a suicide shifter, you will hopefully dump the bike pulling out of your driveway instead of when you are turning at an intersection or are at highway speeds.

Rode an old suicide shift Indian ONCE. Did not enjoy it at all.

6. Gunbunny

Gunbunny Member

Get your bike running right, the brakes done, & check your suspension over (maybe replace the tires too if they're too old).

Then, take an MSF course or two, and learn how to ride SAFELY.

Looking cool isn't as cool as riding safely.

7. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

"Can it be done?" Yes, anything can be done with a bit of ingenuity & a welder...

But should it be done? Nope... Especially not if you're in the UK, have you ridden a bike on the road with all them idiots driving along in their own little world lately? :/

8. dean.james

dean.james New Member

This is my first build and i have been riding for over 10 years but have only had the idea after looking online i did find on that was on right but have had the same fee back of other riders not to do it so i wall pass for now

my do it on next build we will see thank you for you comments.

i have checked my rear drum after reading the post on this.