1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Our Our 1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim N

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by johnsmithx1974, Apr 8, 2014.

1. johnsmithx1974

johnsmithx1974 New Member

Me and my Girlfriend bought this Our 1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim N few weeks ago! Only has 18,000 miles, i think thats low for a bike lol :?: Was running very poorly, so i gave the carbs a good cleaning, re-installing them back in soon :D

Attached Files:

2. randyd81

randyd81 Member

Nice looking bike. I bought one just like it same year except black. Mine had 7900 miles! Hell of a find they run great but take the time and do the maintenance to make her safe and reliable. Valve clearances, wet set float levels, bench sync, brakes new rear drums and front pads also on the front ones new brake lines, master cylinder and caliper rebuilds.

3. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Cool, I am currently rebuilding the engine on y 85. Do me a solid and snap some good pictures of the muffler, looks like an OEM HD Sportster pipe attached to the Yamaha collector. How is it hung from the frame? I am looking ahead at finding a set of mufflers that aren't as gawdawful as the stock ones.

4. johnsmithx1974

It is a HD pipe, we were told that it has some sort of HD pipe, looks to be hung ok, seems like they bent the brackets to get it to mount on the sides, took few pics.

Attached Files:

5. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Looks good!
    Basic and safe maint first!!!!

6. konigralph

konigralph New Member

THE HD pipes look cool on the bike. No issue at all... I would keep it on

7. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Original Sportster pipes can be had for a song, I'll be curious to see if they even create a need for the carbs to be tuned. They are pretty restrictive, which is why everyone takes them off for drags pipes.

8. johnsmithx1974

I will post a write up on how it runs after i re-install the carbs and do some maint. Is there a write up on what needs to be done to a bike that has been sitting for several years? So far ive drained out all the old gas and cleaned the carbs, thats about it, first bike ive had in a long time.