1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

a few stupid noob questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by caleb2357, Apr 8, 2014.

1. caleb2357

caleb2357 New Member

I have an 82 xj650rj first what oil should I use I have 20w50 yamalube non synthetic. Second I put a new clutch in and the bike feels to jerk moderitly when shifting into first from neutral my clutch throw is all but all it can go there's a clunking sound through all the gears less so from 3-5 is this normal other bikes I've riden jerked a little but this seems like a lot this is my first shaft drive so I really have nothing to compair it to

2. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Yup, that oil is fine. For the clutch rebuild, did you align the tabbed drive plates in the star pattern? That clunking could just be dirty oil.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

After installing new Clutches, ... you have to do a COMPLETE Clutch Adjustment.

If you don't ...

You get:

"The Clunks"
    "Neutral-fight"
    "Red-light creep"
    "Herky-jerkies"

Read the LINK below my signature.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The shaft-driven bikes' clutches don't have the tabbed plates; those are unique to the chain-driven 400/550/600s.

However, it is equally important to be sure the dot on the pressure plate is properly aligned with the dot cast into the hub, and that the pressure plate bolts were torqued to the proper (very light) spec.

5. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

There is always some drag in the clutch. That drag sets part of the transmission spinning when you are in neutral with the lever pulled. When you shift it those spinning components have to stop and you'll hear a knock and feel a jerk when they do.

A 20W50 oil is going to have more drag than a lighter oil, especially cold, and will make a more pronounced knock and jerk.

When I had 20W50 in my 650 I could not get the clutch adjusted to a point where it didn't pull excessively cold without it slipping when hot. It was much better behaved on 10W40. Note though, that I never opened the clutch so have no idea if it was in good condition.

6. caleb2357

caleb2357 New Member

So I have the clutch throwout all the way can't get any more travel checked with wrench doesn't slip or creep but the clunk is there with a small jerk forward the bike moves but not the tires if that makes sense and the sound between gears still persists so will fresh 10w40 and gear oil in the shaft help calm it? Also I've heard of people using rotella t 15w40 diesel oil??

7. caleb2357

caleb2357 New Member

So I have the clutch throwout all the way can't get any more travel checked with wrench doesn't slip or creep but the clunk is there with a small jerk forward the bike moves but not the tires if that makes sense and the sound between gears still persists so will fresh 10w40 and gear oil in the shaft help calm it? Also I've heard of people using rotella t 15w40 diesel oil??

8. bigfitz52

Don't run 10W-anything if the outside temps are above 60 degrees.

Has the cable been replaced; or even properly lubed?

You may also need to back the little "throwout lever" (on top of the case) up by one spline so that it has a little more throw.

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Are you talking about when you shift into first gear? That's normal. If you get that in the others , that's a problem....

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

"Also I've heard of people using rotella t 15w40 diesel oil??"
    i use mobil delvac diesel oil, works fine. the N-1 clunk is normal. the other clunks between gears normal on xj's, just so it isn't a clunk----grind, pop out of gear
    shift it like you mean it.
    slight pressure on the shifter, clutch, more shifter pressure, clunk, clutch

11. caleb2357

caleb2357 New Member

The between gears is more if a loud click then a clunk maby I'm just listening to hard

12. Maxim677

Maxim677 Member

I am going to catch flak for this I think but I wanted to say.

I have had many troubles with yamalube over the years, namely yamalube 2R but I have seen it cause enough problems that I stay away from these oils.

For racing 4 stroke applications I have moved to royal purple max cycle. For most 2 stroke applications I use belray H1R.

And for standard 4 stroke applications, I have had tremendous luck with Castrol 4T.

Yamalube seems to be the same oil, overpriced, and with inferior additive packages.

I still presume you need to adjust your clutch but I feel like people need to know the truth about yamalube oils. Love yamahas btw, just not the oil, I have owned many yamahas,well... 8 anyways.

13. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

I know that Fitz isn't going to agree with this but for my XJ550 I use Mobil 1 Racer 4T 10W- 40. It says in the onwers manual to run either 20W-40 or 10w-30 so I am covering all the temps by using the 10W-40. Fitz doesn't like synthetics but I have been using it for several years now and the shifting couldn't be better. It shifts a lot nicer than when I used regular 20w-30. Just my 2 cents....

14. bigfitz52

It's not a matter of "Fitz doesn't like" it's a matter of the numerous forum members over the last 6 years or so that have had starter clutch problems due to the use of synthetic or automotive oils.

If you read that owners' manual carefully, it doesn't say to run "either" it has specific temperature ranges. And 10W-basis weight oil is for when it's cold out, otherwise they want you to use 20W-based oil. It's your motor, but for the sake of your hydraulically-tensioned primary chain, I'd strongly advise that you heed their recommendations. I personally run 20W40 but it's kind of hard to find.

15. caleb2357

caleb2357 New Member

I think I'm going to try diesel oil and see what happens

16. bigfitz52

If you're running conventional, motorcycle spec 20W50 then oil is not your issue.

17. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

What he said ^ :wink: listen to Fitz, I like to think of him as this forum's voice of reason...

TBH I don't think there's really an issue here other than you're not used to riding a shaftie yet. If you're still unsure, rather than changing things like oil maybe find someone local to you with ideally another XJ but any shaft driven bike should do & see what theirs shifts like (and be glad it's not an 80's BMW you're shifting :D )

18. bigfitz52

Or a '60s BMW... 8O