1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What is your favorite grease for bearings?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ecologito, Apr 10, 2014.

1. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

I am about to put new swing arm bearings and seals so I was wondering what is the preferred grease to use on these bearings.

I heard from Dave as I was typing and his choice is the NAPA Premium Performance multipurpose grease

What you all XJ'ers have used with good results?

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Here is my thinking:

In a bearing which spins (like a wheel bearing) it warms a bit and the grease flows. That coupled with the motion keeps grease distributed in the bearing. Mufti-purpose grease is fine in this application.

In something like a swing arm or steering bearing the bearings don't travel much or warm up. The grease eventually gets pushed away from the contact points. I like a high impact grease here because it tends to stay put. Same for drive splines in the hub and U-joint.

In practice though, any is probably just fine.

3. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

I like Carl's thinking, makes sense. In my experience (as a cheapskate with one tub of lube grease and one tub of copperslip grease haha) Castrol LM has always served me well in all applications though.

4. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

5. Rick_King

Rick_King Member

I've always had good luck with Bel Ray Waterproof grease. I use it for any bearing: wheel, swing arm, steering head, whatever. They claim it even resists salt water, not that I've ever put that to the test.