1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I CRASHED!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by pnthubb, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pnthubb

pnthubb Member

Well it finally happened. After 30 years of riding, my XJ700 and I finally crashed.
    As I was coming up to an intersection in San Diego’s North County at about 40mph when a mini van decided to change lanes right into me. I thought I would simply head into the oncoming lane but, of course a car was approaching.
    So with nowhere to go I decided to head onto the median. As I jumped the small curb the sign hit my right side handle bar and pulled the bike from my control.
    Witnesses said I landed on my face, which is evidenced by my helmet. I walked away because I was wearing the right gear: full face helmet, leather riding gloves, boots and a riding jacket that protected my shoulder.
    I am stiff and sore with a few bumps an bruises but otherwise fine.
    My lack of injuries is due to nothing but the mercy and grace of God and He has al my thanks.
    The bike is in bad shape, but is probably repairable. Unfortunately I found that apparently in an effort to save money, I only had liability insurance. I can't tell you how depressing that bit of news is.
    I will be looking here for your help in finding parts and for your tips and tricks to get the bike back on he road the right way.
    I will post a list of needed parts in the Sell Trade, Swap and Wanted forum. Here I will shamelessly ask for any donations of parts my friends here can part with as I am not in a financial position to just start buying stuff.
    Thanks for reading and thanks for contributing to the forum.
    -Hubb-

Attached Files:

2. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

You have made it sound like it was the vans fault so if this is the case, the money to fix your bike would come from the van drivers insurance not yours.... Glad you are okay!

3. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

Glad to see you're still with us.
    Just proves how VITAL wearing the proper gear is!
    And that no matter how much experience you have,
    Accidents WILL happen!
    I'm sure the great members here will help you get your bike back on the road in no time!

Safe riding everyone!!

4. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

I took a lot of stuff off my 650 maxim, so let's see that list! Glad you're ok.

5. SHOOTER

SHOOTER Member

sorry to hear this. if it was the vans fault and he didnt just take off which wouldnt surprise me his insurance should pay for it. i hope things work out good for ya. i dont have any parts for that bike i dont think or i would try to help. sorry

6. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Sounds like you spent the money you have on the right things i.e. safety gear, and your lack of injuries are due primarily to your wise decision making. Where that wisdom comes from, well that is for you to determine.
    If I end up with anything from my XJ700 rebuild, I'd be happy to send it on to a good cause.

7. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Hubb,,

Glad you're okay.

Gary

8. Gunbunny

Gunbunny Member

From what it sounds like, you really need to sue the driver/owner of the van for everything you can get if it's really their fault.

People do not understand what can happen on a motorcycle that can't happen in a car. Irresponsible drivers need to pay for that.

9. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

If you landed "helmet first" you might want to see a Chiropractor.

Glad to hear you are OK, and I'd help, but I don't think I have parts for that model. Let's see the list !!

10. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Man that sucks. Did the mini van even stop? Lots of traffic here and no one is looking for the guy on the bike. My buddy got rear ended on his bike a few years ago and while he was on the ground the car went around him and took off. Hope this wasn't the case for you. And... A lot of people here don't even have insurance which just leaves us screwed. Best of luck to you at least your ok.

11. RonWagner

RonWagner Member

Did the minivan make contact with you?

12. cdnjj

cdnjj Member

That picture is as good an argument as there could be for going with a full face helmet!

Glad everyone is alright.

13. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

man! glad to hear you are ok. from the text in your post, the van driver either didn't stop or claims no fault. which sucks the big one! in the end, at least you have your health. I have a bunch of bike parts I would be happy to send you, but none are 700 parts.

CN

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

At least you're walking, talking, and playing on your computer with us!

Dave Fox

15. pnthubb

pnthubb Member

Thanks for all the well wishes guys--
    I will never consider any helmet other than full face!
    The van driver never stopped. He never made contact with me and I presume he/she never even saw me. I was coming up on his left side. The witnesses that stopped didn't get a plate number. They all said they were too busy watching the crash. A few said they just knew they witnessed a fatality.
    For those interested in helping me out with parts, here’s the list. Obviously there are more critical parts than others to be road worthy and not mere cosmetics, but my intent is to get her back to pre-crash condition.
    Whatever you can do help is appreciated.
    Handle Bars
    Fuel Tank
    Left Front turn signal
    Rear Turn Signals
    Front Brake lines
    Clutch Handle
    Indicator light housing
    Speedometer
    Speedometer Cable
    Left primary Foot Peg
    Left side mirror
    Air Box Covers

16. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Can't really add to what's been said already, sorry to hear your bad luck but glad you're able to tell the tale & glad it took 30 years before it happened. You just joined the bigger of the two groups of riders. (there are those that have crashed & those that will crash). Heal quick both you & the bike.

17. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Glad to see you walked away! Kind of adds insult to injury that the (CENSORED) that caused the accident was too clueless to even know they did it. That kind of stuff really frosts my corn flakes..if ya know whut I mean...

18. mirco

mirco Member

Wow ... very sorry to hear of your accident - and yes, thanks be to God that it was not worse. Best wishes as you get the bike back on the road.

19. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

I'm posting to bump the thread back up, but also to ask for pictures, just to confirm that I've got compatible parts for you. I can get you everything but the brake lines and tank, so long as we're talking about the same style speedo/handlebars/etc. I do have a tank, but its the 650 tank (about a gallon less) and I'm still using it until I finish refurbishing the new tank I'm putting on mine (ironically, a 750 tank I bought for the added capacity).

20. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

we are talking about an XJ700 here.......says so right in the first line of so of the original post--------

dave