1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Good (Reasonable$$) Mechanic in the Kansas City Area??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by superluckycat, Apr 2, 2007.

1. superluckycat

superluckycat Member

The Max needs some carb work and fork seals. Changing oil I can handle but I'm not gonna try that in my apartment parking lot. :roll:

Thanks,

SLC

2. ridz

ridz Member

you know if you stick that bike in your truck come on down to topeka with it. iIm going to do mine , we could do both of them together I have cds and tools.Ill take time off and we can fix and ride. just a thought. let me know! ride safe ridz..oh where in k.c are you.

3. Old-Grunt

Old-Grunt Member

if you guys get something set up,I would try to show up and help if time and schedual allows.

4. ridz

ridz Member

hey, ol. I did nt notice you were from kansas. If I mayask..which part of kansas are you from? If you dont want to put it out there pm me. Ive been wanting to find some xjr(s) in my area..YO LETS RIDE..ridz safe! ridz... 8)

5. superluckycat

superluckycat Member

I'm in Overland Park. The OP. :roll:

The forks need done bad. Getting that wobble in the front end on the way home from work today. Not good.

I'm definitely into some riding and a carb clinic.

Last carb rebuild I did was in 1985 on a 1976 Pontiac Firebird, 2 barrell!? The 70's sucked.

Later Bro's

6. ridz

ridz Member

well its like this I will probably go ahead and start mine. The thing is your definetly right about not doing it in the parking garage....cuz after you break the front end down, get the forks ,tubes,damper assembly ect..ect..apart ...on reassembly you have to have a pretty clean area the tubes can bind with a minute particle..this may be an slight exag.. but not far off because the fit is very ..and I mean very tight..definetly dont want to be working around any silicone its that tight.. just trying to say the tubes and forks have to be very..very..very clean on reassembly. also check your steering head for play..have some one hold the back down..(once you get it on the work stand :oops: ..)turn the handle bars both ways and see if they feel wobbly..it could be your races and head bearings...maybe even check your front caliperI was having the same problem..I was changing handle bars out ...start messing with brakes and found my front caliper sticking..bleed the master cylinder..bleed the brake system and walah.. the front end wobble stopped..point being the brake was sticking enough to cause me problems..thats another story though..well I hope this helps you. good luck on your endeavors. let me know what you think..I have a pick up.if you have gas money..sounds like the making of a good cook out,,ridesafe ridz.. 8)

7. ridz

ridz Member

P.S may be we can get the ol grunt to come down and help us along with eating all the food :wink: ...oh and help with the bike if he wants to :) .

bcnul8tr..ridz 8)

8. Kavey

Kavey Member

Ill bring my bike down there for you guys to fix :)

9. ridz

ridz Member

when you heading this way, kavey? :wink:

10. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

by front end wobble, do you mean that when you are riding down a straight road, it feels like it is bobbing up and down?

11. Kavey

Kavey Member

soon as i get the steering head bearings fixed.. i know my carbs need some work and im not gonna mess with them.. with my luck it would never run again.

12. ridz

ridz Member

Ill be doing those also as well as brakes and calipers..

13. superluckycat

superluckycat Member

How much time are we talking to:

1. Replace the fork seals?

2. Go through the carbs? (I get the willies just thinking about that one)

Could it be done in a weekend? I know it depends on how much beer is involved:)

Something strange I noticed last night riding. It was about 45 degress out and my bike ran better cold with the choke on a little than when its warmed up. When it's warm it idles way too low, hesitates a little then blasts off. Makes riding around town a little tricky.

No problems at higher RPM's though.

14. Robert

Robert Active Member

Time all depends upon experience level and ownership of the correct tools
    Assuming you have a reasonable level of skills and tools (and know how to use them), I'm throwing the following numbers out.
    Fork seals- 1 to 2 hours depending on equipment. More if you don't have it.
    Carbs- anywhere from 2 to 10 hours depending on material condition of the carb bodies.
    This all can be done in a weekend especially if you have competent assistance.
    As for the choke/temperature observation, it sounds like you need to get your carbs cleaned and tuned (air/fuel screws in particular). Your air/fuel balance is off. Check for a clean air filter as well. A dirty air filter will make a bike run rich which works well in cold but as it warms, not so good.
    I offer the advise on the choke/temp problem as my immediate thoughts and am not anything close to an expert on them. There are many others on this forum who will come along and give you much better guidance than I can. As for the times, they could be considered reliable given my experiences with them. Best of luck!

15. superluckycat

superluckycat Member

Thanks Rob,

It's not a question of know how, it's about getting pissed and throwing socket wrenches aroung the garage.

I have good basic mech. aptitude, I'm a mechanical engineer. I know that doesn't mean sh** but I do at least own calipers. I did a frame up restoration on a 78 CJ5 when I was 19. Hated wrenching ever since :evil:

Thanks.

SLC

16. Robert

Robert Active Member

Engineer eh? I guess I'm fortunate, all the mechanical engineers I work with race and wrench. They are the only exposure I've had to the M.E.'s so I'm making suppositions here. Apologies if I offended.
    Given your enlightened status (understanding the workings of it all that is), you should be able to perform the processes indicated well within the times I guestimated.
    Oh yeah, you won't be needing your calipers, you'll need some wire gauges for bench syncing the throttle valves. I've never done the bench sync but I hear a paper clip will do in a pinch.
    Should you run into problems, post your problem, we'll get to you as quick as we are able, right folks?
    Now, let's get that carb bank pulled...
    If you are inclined, could you let us know where you are located. If someone is close by, you may have a wrenching buddy or interested helper around the corner.
    Looking forward to hearing of your assured success, best wishes.

17. superluckycat

superluckycat Member

No you didn't offend me at all. I was making the supposition that just because you're an M.E. doesn't make you a motorcycle mechanic. I've worked with guys that couldn't change their own oil.

Thanks for the help.

I'm in Overland Park, KS suburb of KC.

18. Robert

Robert Active Member

Grand, your just too far for me to pop over for a few hours. Rats, I'd love to tear into it with you. Good luck, you should enjoy the process.

19. ridz

ridz Member

Did we ever accomplish this mission? I have to have an ending 8O

20. barooo

barooo New Member

If not, I might be interested in joining, I have slight clutch woes and if carbs are up for attack mine could use it.