1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1988 XJ 900 F Speedo stopped working

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Rain_Man, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member

Hiya,

Today, whilst out riding my speedo stopped working, so pulled over to see if the cable had come loose, but both ends where nice & tight, so i then undid the bottom & pulled the inner cable out, thinking it could be broken or the ends rounded off, but no, the cable is complete & has no wear to either end, so put it back on & continued my journey & then i noticed that my mileometer was still working, so i assume that the speedo mechanism in the speedo unit is broken :/

Could this be an easy fix or do i need to get another speedo unit ?

2. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

Sometimes the it's hard to tell, but the square drive has rounded off on the cable.

Also, make sure the drive hub is engaging correctly. They can bend.

Take off the front when and poke around. I'm sure it'll be something obvious.

3. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member

I checked it all yesterday & the problem seems to be in the speedo unit in the instrument cluster, so guess i will have to buy another secondhand cluster from ebay or some where :(

4. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

One of mine does that intermittently,usually comes good after some more regular riding.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

6. Rain_Man

Rain_Man New Member

Thanx for that link, i think ile have a look at my speedo internals next week :)

Also, thanx "gunnabuild1", ile be out on my bike this weekend, so fingers crossed it will start working again lol :)